Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have a 2003 Raptor 660r and everytime i hit a jump all it wants to do is nosedive. Could someone help me out? I've heard everything from how i sit on the bike to shocks and what not. Any advice/help is greatly appreciated!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Prolly just a lack of experience and practice. You want to use your position and throttle to set the bike in the proper position when launching off... The front wheels should be higher than the rears when you take off. With your feet at the very back of the pegs, you standing and your hands on the handlebars, you can adjust while in the air by pressing with your feet or pushing with your hands.

Don't get off the throttle when you launch... If you let it go the wheels will slow down and this will make the rear lift vs the front.. You want to keep it steady, unless you are using the throttle to reposition the bike.

Some jumps are just suicide though... When they come up too steep it's a recipe for disaster.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
OK, I have a 2003 Raptor 660r and everytime i hit a jump all it wants to do is nosedive. Could someone help me out? I've heard everything from how i sit on the bike to shocks and what not. Any advice/help is greatly appreciated!:thumbsup:
Is it nosediving or the rear end coming up, rear end coming up is dangerous, I had this happen repeatedly untill i went with a setup from ELKA.............

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Willy, my front end nose dives when i leave the jump it automatically wants to go down. And im thinking i sit too far foward. Unfortunatly im only fifteen, i dont race(wish i did), and dont have a grand or so layin around. But i really do apreiciate the expert advice. And also to qcraptor you are correct i really have no experience jumping, im mostly a trail/road guy and not much crazy stuff comes our way lol thanks for the help :D

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Willy, my front end nose dives when i leave the jump it automatically wants to go down. And im thinking i sit too far foward. Unfortunatly im only fifteen, i dont race(wish i did), and dont have a grand or so layin around. But i really do apreiciate the expert advice. And also to qcraptor you are correct i really have no experience jumping, im mostly a trail/road guy and not much crazy stuff comes our way lol thanks for the help :D
The front end will nose dive when the bike is in the air if you let of the throttle.........:D

·
Master of the Electron
15,631 Posts
:smash: thanks i gotta buddy whos got a setup that ill try to keep on the throttle :D. And since ive got some people willing to steer me in the direction i wanna go, when ever i rev the quad its very high rpm sounding, is it because i need to jet the carb or something worse?
This doesn't describe the issue well enough - one would expect that when you rev it, the RPM's would rise... so what is it that you're really hearing?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
The raptor isnt that high reving, its maximum horse power is at 7500 rpm.......

·
Registered
191 Posts
I would say your not hitting the jumps fast enough.
Can you bunny hop a bike? Jumping is sort of the same thing.
I start with my weight centered on the bike then as it is about to launch I slam my weight to the back and launch.
I use to nose dive but since being shown how to take a ramp I havn't had the issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When i rev the quad it seems like it almost over revs, sometimes. Not all the time. I usually watch a video or hear another raptor where it has stock exhaust(like mine) and its the deep rev up mines the high non deep sounding over rev. Ill take a video of it and post tomorrow. Maybe itll help you guys out a lil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts