Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2005 raptor 660, and it stumbles hard at half or more throttle. It idles great, and will run down the road.

It has no parking brake switch, and the reverse limiter is grounded.

Figured to adjust valves and clean carbs to get a starting point, and I happened to notice it has a 165 main in the left carb and a 160 in the right.

Now, this quad has a stock exhaust and a k&n filter, and I live at about 5k feet.

Is it me, or do these Jets seem a bit large for my quad?

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, these carbs are screwed. Got the pilots out, but when I pulled the diaghrams, I was greeted by this lovely sight.

I do not believe rebuilding these will result in useable carbs.

Anybody got some rebuildable carbs they would sell? Lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got some replacement oem carbs from eBay, cleaned and threw in a dynojet stage 2 kit according to the instructions. Float height set too.

Tomorrow I'll check and adjust valve lash, then reassemble and see what happens. As long as it runs, on to upgrading the tie rods, replacing ball joints and alignment.

This thing is becoming a project.

·
Super Moderator
7,751 Posts
Glad,to see you got some OEM carbs, hopefully for a good deal. Chinese knock offs seem to cause issues.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Think you have me confused with quickshot 23. We're both having the same issue, so it makes sense.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, two intake valves were .10mm and one was at .09 Both exhausts were at .15mm so they were tight.

Carbs are cleaned and re-jetted, and installed.

Dynojet 140 and 142 for stock exhaust, k&n filter, airbox lid installed, dynojet needle on the recommended clip which I can't remember.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All together, same problem. Exact same problem. Idles fine, hard cut out with throttle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pulled the airbox lid, now she'll rev full throttle.

So, at this point, remove snorkel and maybe drill the airbox lid?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cut some holes into the airbox, now it revs smooth, but it doesn't seem like it will reach redline.

I have the clip at Groove number 4.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I was wrong, seems I have some mid range sputtering, raised the clip on the needle one groove, tested and still sputtering, raised another groove and still there, but seems to be improving.

I only have one more groove to go in the dynojet needle. Wonder if I should try swapping in the stock needle.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,442 Posts
Are you riding the bike or just free revving to test in your shop? I don't think the 660 is supposed to free rev.
Go to the last groove and test, you could always go one size smaller on the mains since it sounds like it's running rich..

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Just bought a 2005 raptor 660, and it stumbles hard at half or more throttle. It idles great, and will run down the road.

It has no parking brake switch, and the reverse limiter is grounded.

Figured to adjust valves and clean carbs to get a starting point, and I happened to notice it has a 165 main in the left carb and a 160 in the right.

Now, this quad has a stock exhaust and a k&n filter, and I live at about 5k feet.

Is it me, or do these Jets seem a bit large for my quad?

Well, two intake valves were .10mm and one was at .09 Both exhausts were at .15mm so they were tight.

Carbs are cleaned and re-jetted, and installed.

Dynojet 140 and 142 for stock exhaust, k&n filter, airbox lid installed, dynojet needle on the recommended clip which I can't remember.

Pulled the airbox lid, now she'll rev full throttle.

So, at this point, remove snorkel and maybe drill the airbox lid?

Well I was wrong, seems I have some mid range sputtering, raised the clip on the needle one groove, tested and still sputtering, raised another groove and still there, but seems to be improving.

I only have one more groove to go in the dynojet needle. Wonder if I should try swapping in the stock needle.

I noticed in your first post the bigger main jet was in the left carb. Did you correct that when you reassembled with the dynojet kit? The bigger jet should be in the right carb, the side where the exhaust runs

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dezparado, I am test riding it. Revving in the shop don't tell much in my experience.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
4stroker, I did make sure the Jets were in the correct carb. I'm not entirely sure I wasn't confused on the orientation in the op, I had the carbs flipped but still attached to the cables.

I think I will go ahead and try the next step down in the main Jets.

Right now it gets up and goes, but steady speed riding is annoying thanks to the stuttering in mid range.

Side note, when I switch out the mains, should I reset the needles to the starting position suggested by dyno jet, or leave where I have it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I switched to 138 and 140 dj Jets, left the needle at the second notch, and left the pilots at a 25

Still have the mid range stumble, but i was happier with wot at this point. I guess one more notch on the needle and we'll see if I might need the stock needle in there until I switch out the exhaust

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Top groove made the stumble worse. Maybe I'm actually lean in the mid range?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,442 Posts
I switched to 138 and 140 dj Jets, left the needle at the second notch, and left the pilots at a 25

Still have the mid range stumble, but i was happier with wot at this point. I guess one more notch on the needle and we'll see if I might need the stock needle in there until I switch out the exhaust

Hang in there with the DJ needles for now.
You may have to change the mains again, it sounds like it was/is rich.
Keep the 25 pilots for all jetting.
You'll be ready to do some plug readings soon with new plugs.
Jetting is a art and not everyone wants to fine tune like us, but the reward pays off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hang in there with the DJ needles for now.
You may have to change the mains again, it sounds like it was/is rich.
Keep the 25 pilots for all jetting.
You'll be ready to do some plug readings soon with new plugs.
Jetting is a art and not everyone wants to fine tune like us, but the reward pays off.
I'll tell ya, I'm sure plenty of people would live with this stumble, but it bugs me.

I'm kinda confused though, the stumble stayed constant from forth groove up to second, then got blatantly worse at the top groove. Seems like that would suggest I was lean mid range.

I put the clip back to the fourth groove. Once again, stumble is milder than it was at the top groove .

I thought the mains didn't effect much outside of wot, bad that's why I'm confused on which direction I need to go here.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts