Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my raptor has developed a new problem which I cannot seem to rectify so far and one which has highly frustrated me, so any advice I shall receive is much appreciated. The problem was brought to my attention whilst checking the oil level after an oil service. When I inspected the oil level after riding, oil was at the top of the reservoir and clearly visible. After seeing this I drained the oil as necessary and noticed it smelt of fuel which also added to the mystery. I then tried to start the quad which by then was not firing up although starter was turning over. If someone could shed some light on how rectify the situation i would really appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i would guess the float is stuck open, causing fuel to drip into the combustion chamber and then leaking past the oil ring into the crankcase.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i had the same problem 2 years ago, change your plug, mine was right f'ed afterwards, it took 2-3 oil changes within about a week to get the gas smell out of the oil, when i shut it down now i always turn the petcock off

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
The only way fuel will leak into the combustion chamber is if the float valve/s are leaking AND the overflow pipe in the bowl is plugged or the overflow tube from the bottom of the bowl is threaded above the carb. Else, normally with a float valve leak, all you'll get is a garage floor full of gas.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The quad had fired up today after cutting out and failIng to start from the other day as I previously stated.
What's the reason for this?. Is it due to flooding?.
I would also like to point out that after the oil service ('Motul 5100 Ester' wet clutch approved 10w40 oil used) the quad was ridden on two different occasions for very short periods of time and the oil levels seemed ok.
Why didn't it raise then? Could it be due to less throttle?.
Can valve adjustment be a cause of fuel into oil as I don't know if they've been adjusted?.
Also I'd like to know wether this oil situation could have caused damage to the engine.
I will also try and carry out a compression test to inspect further if I can't rectify the situation.
I would also like to say thanks to everyone giving their input and trying to help.

·
Registered
182 Posts
like quadmaniac said, its the floats in the carbs, its not your valves, it happened to me before, your engine should be fine unless theres still gas in your oil, hence why i said i changed mine several times before i rode it

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Gas in the ooil is caused by fuel too high in the float bowls.........caused by leaking needle and seats, incorrect float level............

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
Gas in the ooil is caused by fuel too high in the float bowls.........caused by leaking needle and seats, incorrect float level............
AND the overflow circuit plugged up at the same time, else all fuel goes onto the floor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It would be great help if someone can tell me how I would go about checking this and explain to me the procedures I would need to carry out to perform this task or if there's a 'step-by-step' based on this. Sorry for late replies, I'm from the U.K., different time zones.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
It would be great help if someone can tell me how I would go about checking this and explain to me the procedures I would need to carry out to perform this task or if there's a 'step-by-step' based on this. Sorry for late replies, I'm from the U.K., different time zones.
Here ya go, read this for starters................

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20

1 - 12 of 12 Posts