Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my first post so don't flame me to bad...ok here it goes. I just got rid of my wife's Kodiak 450. I just couldn't part with her 26" ITP ATR on OMF beadlock wheels. So the proverbial gears started turning, a few phone calls followed, the grinder was comissioned for a little trimming and viola, my 700 SE now has black 12" rockstars with yellow scalloped beadlocks held up by 26" ATRs. We simply trail ride and most of our crew are of the utility sort so ground clearance is my biggest advantage now. For the record I'm backing up the loss in power by throwing on the usual three mods, full skid plates and a 13 tooth sproket for good measure. Now, believe it or not, these tires look like the were meant to be. No lift kit crap was used, only a few wheel adapters were needed to accomodate the kodiak wheel pattern. I will post some pics on monday. What do you think?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yeah! Same here. Post some pix :thumbsup:

·
Registered
767 Posts
Definatley looking forward to the pics! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
163 Posts
should be very interesting to see :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Nice idea, but you've got to be frying the clutch with that gearing. Try going bigger on the rear, a lot bigger.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dropped the front sprocket down to 13 and it seems to have made a very possitive impact on reponsiveness. I had to slutch a little more than I like when running the 26s and the stock sprockets. I hope to get into gncc soon and hope this will keep me out of the ruts.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Cool beans! 8)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Looks sweet. 8)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I took it to durhamtown in GA and it did fine. I added the pipe, filter, pcIII, skid plates and 13 tooth sprocket since then and things are only getting better. Riding wheelies, handling and braking are still fine. obviously the larger diameter plays a role in unsprung weight, but I'm pleased with the total package. I look forward to running it through the trails soon to fully test out everything.

·
Registered
82 Posts
thats pretty sweet

·
Registered
163 Posts
wow.. for some reason everytime i see those pics i remember the Honda Foreman, only this time it means business.. great job on the wheels.. i only have one question.. wouldn't there be a safety hazard going that big?.. i don't know i am only asking.. i'm sure the design process of the quad had to have a tire/wheel limit..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm sure the front bearings aren't too happy with the larger diameter of the wheel, but my off-set is very close to factory specs and my wheel adapter up front is only 1/2" so there is really no additional leverage on bearings like there is with crazy off-sets or even wheel spacers. my scrub (steering relative to knuckle pivot) are very close to factory specs so its feels stock. In other words, steering is still very light. Out back I swapped out the hubs to dura-blue hubs with a 4 x 110 bolt pattern, no additional width was added. I'm running tires that 26x8 up front and 26x10 in back so my contact patch with the ground isn't very different than stock either.
Elka shocks and steering damper are next. I'm sure the extra side leverage of the tires will throw the the handle bars out of my hands a lot easier now if I smack a rock or tree.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts