Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys;
Haven't been here in quite some time, so I figured I'd post a walkaroud video I made last week.
The engine has been running great, as well as the tranny (2001).
I picked up a complete spare engine for $175 for it,(just in case) but it has low compression (35 PSI). I'll tear it down in a few weeks to see what happened to it. Hopefully it's salvagable.
Dan

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Nice ride... You seem to have have a missing nut on your front passenger side top tab. Just in case you didn't know :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks !! I was still working on the front when I shot the video. The biggest issue I'm having is keeping crap out of the heim joints, so I'm trying to waterproof them with old bike tubes.

·
Addicted To Raptor
255 Posts
Very nice! Post up a video of that monster in action!

·
RF Moderating Team Member / Wheelie Master
4,326 Posts
A lot of work there good job. :)

·
VIP
1,019 Posts
Great work Dan.

I have been following your build thread and it looks like everything has worked out well. :thumbsup:

I see you live really close to the Ganny and was wondering if you happen to ride there?

I am usually there every weekend in the Spring and Fall and sometimes during the Summer as long as it's not 41 degrees outside.:lol:

I remember seeing three buggies riding the trails together at the end of October and am pretty sure there was a black buggy among them. Was that you?

We would have been in a group of 13 quads, 3 bikes and a Razr the first weekend I saw the buggies and the next weekend there were 8 of us on quads and one guy on a KTM 450 dirt bike.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I wanna see it run.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Great work Dan.

I have been following your build thread and it looks like everything has worked out well. :thumbsup:

I see you live really close to the Ganny and was wondering if you happen to ride there?

I am usually there every weekend in the Spring and Fall and sometimes during the Summer as long as it's not 41 degrees outside.:lol:

I remember seeing three buggies riding the trails together at the end of October and am pretty sure there was a black buggy among them. Was that you?

We would have been in a group of 13 quads, 3 bikes and a Razr the first weekend I saw the buggies and the next weekend there were 8 of us on quads and one guy on a KTM 450 dirt bike.
Yeah!! That's us !!
This year we might have 2 more with us. We go out at least once a week in the Ganny and Westleyville. Put over 600 miles on them this year. Best project I've ever done !!
The dark green one is mine, and the blue one is my Son's.He's running a Polaris 500 out of a Sportsman. I got both built from scratch in 9 months including a trailer.
The 3rd buggy running with us is a modified Oddyssey. He had a 670 Rotax, but is changing that this year to a KLX 650.
I have build pics of the blue one here www.dantechfabricating.com
When I first built it, it only had a Honda GX360.

·
VIP
1,019 Posts
That's funny. Small world eh?:D

Those are definitely the three buggies I saw at the end of Oct. I remember pointing out the Odyssey to my buddy and saying "that thing has a sled engine in it." :lol:

My sister's boyfriend back in high school had a 350 Odyssey and I had a blast ripping around in that thing.

My other buddy has one of those Drakart buggies, if you've ever heard of them. It's a long travel, single seater with a 583 Rotax engine in it and it rips. They also build one with a turbocharged Hyabusa engine.:wow:

I printed up 15 Ganny trail pass applications for all my riding buddies this year, so keep your eye out for us on the trails. You can see what my Rappy looks like in my sig and I will always be with a black Raptor 660SE, a white/black YFZ, a blue/white 86 TRX 250R with 88 plastics and a 330 kit and we always have a KTM 450 dirtbike tagging along with all the quads

We will see you around after April 29th when the trails open for the season.:thumbsup:

Jim

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm looking forward to it!! It would be cool to ride with others as well.I only live about 15 minutes away.
I like the Drakart,but it wouldn't be very good in the Ganny. I don't know of any buggys out there that would be, so that's why I built these.
They have to be kept narrow (54") so that we can go in the tight trails, and they must have reverse. Most of the homemade buggys just have forward gear. I'm always looking for any wrecked Raptors , if you ever hear of one.

·
VIP
1,019 Posts
I am about an hour and 15 minutes away from the Ganny.

The Drakart has reverse and is probably a little smaller all around than a 350 Odyssey. I've been in both and the Odyssey seemed longer and wider to me.

I will see if I can convince him to bring his buggy out to the Ganny, but he recently had a baby, so we will see if the wife will allow him to go.:D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That would be cool !! I can't really see it as smaller than the Oddyssey, because they are very short. My buddy's is lengthened 6 inches.
Send me a message when you back to the Ganny, and we'll hook up.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
wow excellent job on the build. wish i had your skills

·
VIP
1,019 Posts
Hey man,

Looks like the rain may actually stay away tomorrow after an entire month of straight rain, so we are heading to the Ganny. :)

We should be in the North parking lot off of Boundary Rd somewhere between 12:00-12:30pm. If it was just myself going, I would be there ontime, but we usually have to wait for a few guys, who just can't seem to get everything together and are usually late.:(

If you don't catch us there, I will keep an eye out for you on the trails and you can look for me on the 700 in my sig.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Please fill me in on what the Ganny is? Is this the place up near Mosport? I live down in London and am always looking for new places to ride

Oh and nice buggy's by the way. They look like they'd be a blast to drive!

·
VIP
1,019 Posts
That's the place. It's only 5 minutes East of Mosport. There is another area called Raglan's which was gated up a few years ago and that was a great place to ride. There is another section of Raglan's that is still open, which is about 5 km down the trail from the other spot. There is a huge sand pit with a bunch of awesome forrest trails surrounding it, so we usually ride there from the Ganny and hit the trails for a few hours.

My buddy lives in London too and he will be leaving from there in the morning to meet us at the Ganny. If you want to join us, maybe you could meet with him and convoy together?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for the offer. I'm heading up to Petawawa in the morning. I will be going there at some point this summer to check it out, maybe we can set something up then. It sounds like a fun place to ride.

·
VIP
1,019 Posts
Sounds good.

Hey Dan, it was nice meeting you yesterday.

It was a funny coincidence that even though you did not see this thread before yesterday, you just happened to park directly beside my truck.:lol:

We ended up riding until about 6:30 and when we made it back to the trucks, you guys had already left.

Your buggies are extremely well built and engineered. It was kool to be able check them out in person and see how much fab work you had done to make each one a little different in size to suit the driver.:thumbsup:

The Raptor engine install looks like it was built from the factory for your buggy. Every component fits perfectly and I like how you mounted the stock airbox assembly.:thumbsup:

I will try and post a map of the Raglan's sand pit with the forrest trails that I was telling you about and maybe we can meet there one weekend so you can try out those trails?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I finally made it back to this thread !!
I met up again with CHIMBAZOID today in the Ganny but only had a couple of minutes to chat . I think it's been a couple of months since I posted here.
We put over 65 miles on the buggys today with no issues. Even had time to cook up some sausages.
Hopefully the next time out I'll be able to hit the 1000 mile mark on the odometer.
I'll probably post some videos on you tube in the next few days. Just search username "dantech1" or "rotaxbuggy".
Later, Dan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts