Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
:burnout: Hope your in the dunes bro, if not; its gonna be hard keeping tread on them tires :lol: :thumbsup:
Keep us posted-looking good!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Why would you build that for 1/4 mile on asphalt? Why not just get an R1? What kind of times are you running with it in the 1/4?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Well I think thats about the most awsome thing Ive ever seen :thumbsup:

How much time/money was spent on just fitting the motor in there, what modifications to the frame were required? Just weld up some motor mounts or a little more complicated?

I think 1/4 drags on Asphault would be sweet

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GRANCUDA said:
Why would you build that for 1/4 mile on asphalt? Why not just get an R1? What kind of times are you running with it in the 1/4?
Because most of the races here and on other islands are on asphalt.
Because I rather a quad instead.
I only just started to fit the engine in the frame so no times.

The 3rd pic is a example of what my quad will be like, the blue quad is'nt mine.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John said:
Well I think thats about the most awsome thing Ive ever seen :thumbsup:

How much time/money was spent on just fitting the motor in there, what modifications to the frame were required? Just weld up some motor mounts or a little more complicated?

I think 1/4 drags on Asphault would be sweet
Well I spent $1800 for the engine and the fitting of the motor is being done by a friend of mine who has a machine shop and shares simular interest so basically only materials will be the cost. As mentioned before the blue quad is'nt mine thats a pic of a simular setup I found on the net and will go according to that to get mine done.

Cost wise I figured I just do the R1 mod instead of going to a bigger bore with the 660 engine. and take it to the limit :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thats awesome man...keep us posted on the project. Im really interested in this. Should be a wild ride when its done!

Drag racing kicks ass!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I think rt is going to wind up spending about $3k on his build with the 660. I think motorcycle engine swaps are a great idea and after the work put into them you will have the best HP/Money ratio of any raptor

R1 makes like 180hp (?) and could possibly be swapped for about $3k before suspension mods. To get just 75hp out of the raptor motor your looking at $3k

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Thanks for updating us on the progress BMR.

Best of luck, but I hate seeing such a pretty thing go under the chopping block. It's ok though, it'll look great again when it's done.

·
Registered
733 Posts
what's the time span your looking to finish it in?

looks awesome already :grin_nod: good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well since im getting a special deal with the machinist so Im going with his flow as he has other work to do aswell, but it shouldn't take too long as we already have a mounting scheme from the 3rd pic I posted.

I would guess maybe 2 weeks more (Fingers Crossed) ::)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there, I'm writing from Toronto, Ontario. I've got a 2003 Raptor frame and a 2001 R1 engine that need to click! I've wanted to put this project together for a while, but I only got the engine yesterday, and was real happy to find your post on this forum. I've also seen the other blue R1 Raptor dragster. I'd like to say that your build is light years ahead of mine and looks good so far. If you don't mind me asking, how are you locating the engine in the frame?; as the raptor mounts are top to bottom and the R1 mounts are on the side of the engine. The drag raptor (so I've seen in the picture) has diagonal braces welded onto the frame that run along the original engine mounting points. Are you gusseting the frame at all? If you can shine some light on this for me that would be great. I'll share any info as it becomes available to me, but for now I'd just like to mount the engine onto the frame. My goal for this project is a bike that could compete on a supermoto course and scare the heck out of the OPP on the 401! :grin_nod: Lex.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
croniq28 said:
Hey there, I'm writing from Toronto, Ontario. I've got a 2003 Raptor frame and a 2001 R1 engine that need to click! I've wanted to put this project together for a while, but I only got the engine yesterday, and was real happy to find your post on this forum. I've also seen the other blue R1 Raptor dragster. I'd like to say that your build is light years ahead of mine and looks good so far. If you don't mind me asking, how are you locating the engine in the frame?; as the raptor mounts are top to bottom and the R1 mounts are on the side of the engine. The drag raptor (so I've seen in the picture) has diagonal braces welded onto the frame that run along the original engine mounting points. Are you gusseting the frame at all? If you can shine some light on this for me that would be great. I'll share any info as it becomes available to me, but for now I'd just like to mount the engine onto the frame. My goal for this project is a bike that could compete on a supermoto course and scare the heck out of the OPP on the 401! :grin_nod: Lex.
Im going according to the drag raptor pic I posted, you can see the other 2 mounts on the rear of the r1 engine when you zoom into that pic. Basically Im going to try and duplicate that same setup. This is all new for me aswell and im sure it will be a trial and error to work out the bugs, but i have most of my hopes on the machinist to get it right.

Will keep you guys posted with pics during assembly.

1 - 20 of 251 Posts