Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a 01 raptor for real cheap. Put a new battery in and as soon as it started it felt like someone was holding the throttle in to the point it sounded like it was going to blow up so i shut it off quickly. I know nothing about the quad due to the guy i bought it from didn't either. Claims it has a "shaved" thumb throttle which i have never heard of... the throttle feels like its not connected to anything? To fill you in it has big gun cdi, lrd pipe, pro design air filter, and unkown inside the motor. Any ideas where to start? thanks for the help

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would assume that if the throttle feels like its connected to nothing then maybe it is not connected and that is maybe why it started wide open, i would check to see if the butterfly is open, maybe the cable is rusted wide open, maybe not. alot of maybes here i would start at the carbs.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I just recently purchased a 01 raptor for real cheap. Put a new battery in and as soon as it started it felt like someone was holding the throttle in to the point it sounded like it was going to blow up so i shut it off quickly. I know nothing about the quad due to the guy i bought it from didn't either. Claims it has a "shaved" thumb throttle which i have never heard of... the throttle feels like its not connected to anything? To fill you in it has big gun cdi, lrd pipe, pro design air filter, and unkown inside the motor. Any ideas where to start? thanks for the help
Check for throttle movemnt at the carbs, and also for dirty pilot jets, depending on how high it revs, it could be a hanging idle.............

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Download the service manual (for free) from the stickies at the top of this section. You're going to need it.

Good news is it runs! All else is just a matter of cleaning/minor repairs, hopefully.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the suggestions! ill let you know what i find out probably wont be for a few days. Is $450 for a 2001 raptor lrd pipe nerf bars big gun cdi +2 swingarm new bars pro filter a good price ;) although its not motor sound overall in great shape i still think its a hell of a deal

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
It may be pointless, but it's free (at least it's there at no extra cost)... it won't hurt anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts