Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. I’m new to the forum. I’d like to take the time to give a shout out to the folks that make all of this possible. Thanks for your efforts !!

I am a hobbyist restorer. I take neglected machines(this raptor is my second project) ((first was a 01 Suzuki lt 500f))and restore them to their former glory. It’s a hell of an expensive hobby BUT what else am I supposed to do with all my tools ??

All that said, this raptor,
2003 (technically) was made 10th month 03 so I think that makes it a 04 ...? According to my local parts dealer anyway.
660 with the 686 big bore kit installed.
I paid $315 for a rolling chassis a box of parts a motor with some shifting, clutch and other issues (I have not removed top end yet to check condition of the bore)

previous owner, (heavy duty mechanic)((in my experience never seem to do all that well with small engines)) told me it was all there just needed to be put together, he said he replaced shift detente because of the shifting problems he experienced, it was blowing head gaskets so he installed arp studs( has yet to be run with those installed) and he installed a Hinson clutch.

now I’m not 100% sure but I think the detent is messed up some how, just didn’t seem to cycle properly to me. However it does look new. So any insight on improper install signs would be greatly appreciated. 2nd head gaskets.... well when I get a chance I will open it up but until I fix the clutch issue I can’t test his work...?? 3rd and here the kicker...
The “Hinson clutch install” is more accurately a Hinson clutch BASKET install, the rest of the clutch remains stock 😒. The stock ⚙ on the back of the basket is missing a tooth, likewise on what I believe is called the primary crankshaft drive ⚙ ..? The same tooth it would have meshed with is missing. Furthermore the clutch cover on the inside where the lever mechanism ends in that little housing is all cracked and messed up. I’m worried that the crank is bent and this is a sign of that. And this is why I’m asking here because I’m prone to jumping to conclusions😝.
End of the day id hate to just go with it, replace/ adjust the parts that I know are messed fire it up and be left with the same problem .... or worse 🤢

any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Hello and welcome. You have an expensive hobby for sure, ask me how i know! Haha. These arent really known for bending the crank itself. Usually bearings will seize or the rod will fail. Unfortunately there isnt a good way to inspect it short of pulling the cylinder off. Clutch basket gear is taken from an OEM clutch basket. Just get another and swap it over to keep your hinson basket. Or you can send it to me if you dont want it! Not sure what would cause the missing teeth and the cracked clutch cover, but id bet a paycheck they all happened at once

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
The shift mechanism has a few small, easy to lose parts. Take it apart and make sure they are all there. Once i saw one where the guy had tried to remove the bolt that the shift star spins on. He used pliers and scratched it all up so then the star wouldnt spin smooth

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,800 Posts
Any gears with missing teeth must be replaced.

I assume the clutch cover is off. Pull the flywheel cover off too. Put a dial indicator on each crank end shaft and check run out.

Now you can check the inside of the shift lever for proper alignment.

Bad head gasket could be a warped head. ARP studs will normally torque to about 10% tighter.

Always remove the timing chain tensioner before pulling the head cover. The head and cover are machined as a pair and should have matching serial numbers.

Check your manual for more information. No manual?? Send a pm to Morphrider with a valid email for a free digital copy

Most Raptor 660 parts interchange except '01 that had a different wire harness, ECU, and some trans parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello and welcome. You have an expensive hobby for sure, ask me how i know! Haha. These arent really known for bending the crank itself. Usually bearings will seize or the rod will fail. Unfortunately there isnt a good way to inspect it short of pulling the cylinder off. Clutch basket gear is taken from an OEM clutch basket. Just get another and swap it over to keep your hinson basket. Or you can send it to me if you dont want it! Not sure what would cause the missing teeth and the cracked clutch cover, but id bet a paycheck they all happened at once

I would have to shy away from that bet because I’m thinking the same thing. As for the basket, well my guy is telling me to keep it... lol my parts guy basically said they are good, they resist the heat well, and don’t wear anywhere near as fast as the stock cause of the metals used or something like that. So that’s a bonus but not really going to help my clutch work better until I fill it with it’s Hinson brothers and sisters. Anyway you know the price on all of that and..... 😦

in any case I am perplexed by the clutch parts issue.... can’t for the life of me think of a problem that may cause that.......maybe one of those little pieces in the shift detent found it’s easy in there ...?? Unlikely probably

anyway thanks for the insight

🍻

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,800 Posts
FYI, it isn't necessary to use Hinson clutch parts in a Hinson basket. The basket is sold separate and has better durability then the factory basket. Any clutch kit, except Tusk, including factory will work, just add heavy duty springs. We have found the Tusk clutches don't hold the power of the Raptor. I like Driveline Performance from ebay, but may not be available to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts