Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there.

I have messed with every setting on my SE shocks and I still get beat to hell every time I ride. What can I do to fix this?

Zach

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
:DHave them setup by someone who knows what they are doing, like wiigstyle here on the site. He can set them up to your weight and riding style or have them rebuilt by him ie revalved and sprung to your weight he can make them as good as aftermarket std trvl shocks

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
You can do a search on here for suspension setup and there will be links in threads to the set up article so you can do it yourself, but i recommend having josh set them up right the.first time

·
Ridin High.....
961 Posts
Hey there.

I have messed with every setting on my SE shocks and I still get beat to hell every time I ride. What can I do to fix this?

Zach
how are you gettin beat up? describe what you notice the most. bottoming out? bars gettin ripped from your hands?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how are you gettin beat up? describe what you notice the most. bottoming out? bars gettin ripped from your hands?

I feel like I am going to get bucked off. I feel like the front absorbed nothing.

The rear seems to be fine but I may be wrong.

How much do you weigh?
I weigh 270

·
Banned
2,642 Posts

I feel like I am going to get bucked off. I feel like the front absorbed nothing.

The rear seems to be fine but I may be wrong.

I weigh 270
I weigh 260 in street clothes and i don't have any issues, your weight isn't the issue getting the shocks set up for your weight is most likely the issue and or you've messed with the shocks and have them way out. Take your bike to a good Atv tuner in your area and have it set up for your weight thats my suggestion or read the setup article on the forum

·
Valley Boy
96 Posts
When i got mine it was extremely soft so I set all the compression and rebound back to the "standard" setting that was in the online owners manual from yamaha. I didn't know what everything was set at so I figured the "standard" settings would be a good place to start. It was a little stiff in the front after so I have been softening a click or 2 at a time. I ride it for a bit and then readjust. Its still a little stiff but I don't mind it so I'll probably leave it for now. The only thing I didn't change was the spring preload which seems to be ok for now. But I do find the rear much softer than the front even though the front and rear were both on the standard settings.

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
When i got mine it was extremely soft so I set all the compression and rebound back to the "standard" setting that was in the online owners manual from yamaha. I didn't know what everything was set at so I figured the "standard" settings would be a good place to start. It was a little stiff in the front after so I have been softening a click or 2 at a time. I ride it for a bit and then readjust. Its still a little stiff but I don't mind it so I'll probably leave it for now. The only thing I didn't change was the spring preload which seems to be ok for now. But I do find the rear much softer than the front even though the front and rear were both on the standard settings.
You are probably going to have to have the shocks revalved for your weight. the standard valving is way lite for a 270lb. rider, I'm 230lb. and when I had stock shocks on mine I had to have them revalved. I would suggest Josh @ Wiigstyle to get them done :thumbsup:

·
Registered
558 Posts
stock raptor shocks are valved and sprung for like a 140# rider. so you definantly cant get your ride height correct and your probly blowing though the valving when you land a jump. Your just so far off to make the shocks work correctly without having them resprung and valved.

·
6,925 Posts
stock raptor shocks are valved and sprung for like a 140# rider. so you definantly cant get your ride height correct and your probly blowing though the valving when you land a jump. Your just so far off to make the shocks work correctly without having them resprung and valved.
Exactly! IMO Anybody that says their stock shocks work fine and they weigh 220+ doesn't know what a good performing shock is suppose to feel like! I'm sorry if that covers anybody here but that's the way it is! :grin_nod:

·
Valley Boy
96 Posts
I'm 170 and it doesn't seem too bad for me. I can see me still making the settings a little stiffer in the rear but I want to get it out on a decent trail and see how it handles.

·
Ridin High.....
961 Posts
try lowering your rebound and/or low speed compression on the rear and upping the high speed compression in the front

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Exactly! IMO Anybody that says their stock shocks work fine and they weigh 220+ doesn't know what a good performing shock is suppose to feel like! I'm sorry if that covers anybody here but that's the way it is! :grin_nod:
Are you telling me my 230 pound girlish figure aint ok. Ive been working hard and invested alot of money in this belly LOL...I guess i need a re-valve when i get some money...Way to beat a fat guy down a keg or 2...sheesh! LMAO :p ;)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Are you telling me my 230 pound girlish figure aint ok. Ive been working hard and invested alot of money in this belly LOL...I guess i need a re-valve when i get some money...Way to beat a fat guy down a keg or 2...sheesh! LMAO :p ;)
Belly's are expensive to maintain:)

·
6,925 Posts
Oh don't feel bad Frenchie I'm @ 225 and I know what I had to do to get my suspension right so I could run 2ft deep whooped out trails @ 40-45mph!:grin_nod: And that was aimed more at people not knowing what a good set up is suppose to feel like, not people that weigh over 220lbs. LOL:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
lol i did notice the ride was a little uncomfortable when i bought the raptor an took it bush, me weighing a meer 120kg (264lbs i think it is?) glad to know it was just my 4x 6pack causing the problems :D haha

·
RF Moderating Team Member / Wheelie Master
4,326 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts