Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike was running and shifting into all gears perfectly the last time i had it out, and yesterday i decided to take it for a spin after work and it didnt want to shift into 3rd gear. When i go through 2nd and try to shift into 3rd the gear shifter will go up but it just doesnt engage. If i drive in 2nd a bit and and give it a couple good shots of throttle it eventually clicks up. 4th does it a little bit as well. But then it downshifts perfectly. The last time i was out i was not driving it hard, i always use the clutch and only use it in the trails. It seems like a bent shift fork but dont you have to abuse the shifting to get that? Could it be the clutch at all?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
with the engine off and the rear tires off the ground, it will shift fine up and down through all gears just by nudging the wheels forward by hand. When I start it up and put it in gear and clutch still in, it acts as if I did let out the clutch into first. I almost cannot stop the tries from spinning while on the stand with the clutch in. Is that normal? I am hoping its just the clutch and not transmission.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
with the engine off and the rear tires off the ground, it will shift fine up and down through all gears just by nudging the wheels forward by hand. When I start it up and put it in gear and clutch still in, it acts as if I did let out the clutch into first. I almost cannot stop the tries from spinning while on the stand with the clutch in. Is that normal? I am hoping its just the clutch and not transmission.
Your clutch problems could be caused by warped plates, cold engine oil, or improperly adjusted clutch free play........

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it does shift kind of hard sometimes into first gear from neutral, and neutral to 2nd gear. and then last last time i was out it didnt want to go into 3rd gear and sometimes 4th was a pain but it would eventually go in. I just really dont want to split the cases if i thought it could be the clutch..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think i know what the problem might be....the gear shifter seems to have alot of play up and down, its not where it bolts to the output shaft because it is tight on that, but its internally. sometimes when shifting down the shifter doesnt really want to come back up to its middle position. it seems quite floppy like a spring or something is getting weak that makes it want to stay in the middle position. What would be causing this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts