Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I have a 2001 raptor and it had a tranny problem, i put a new one in, and i also put new piston rings and valve seals. (it didn't need them, but i came this far, and i mine as well do it.) Also all the bearings and seals were replaced.

I have about 20 hours on it (just finished break in) and normally it will smoke on start up and a few minutes after that, then its fine. its a thickish white smoke (NO ITS NOT BLUE) ??? :wow: :mad:

any ideas whats wrong? i used a torque wrench and proper tools when rebuilding it. im just not sure whats wrong. any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
273 Posts
white smoke coolant

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
so I have a 2001 raptor and it had a tranny problem, i put a new one in, and i also put new piston rings and valve seals. (it didn't need them, but i came this far, and i mine as well do it.) Also all the bearings and seals were replaced.

I have about 20 hours on it (just finished break in) and normally it will smoke on start up and a few minutes after that, then its fine. its a thickish white smoke (NO ITS NOT BLUE) ??? :wow: :mad:

any ideas whats wrong? i used a torque wrench and proper tools when rebuilding it. im just not sure whats wrong. any help would be appreciated.
Was the cylinder deglazed when you rebuilt the engine, were the valve seals installed properly, and were the piston rings installed properly............

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no it cant be coolent.

is deglazing the cylinder just washing it out? because thats all i did. it was in good condition.

·
Registered
385 Posts
no it cant be coolent.

is deglazing the cylinder just washing it out? because thats all i did. it was in good condition.
intersting, how could it not be coolant.. to deglaze a cylinder you have to use a honig tool annd lightly goin a out of the cylinder.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Thats exactly what my bike did when I 1st got her together . It would pour out white smoke for a while , on every start up. Turned out to be a sunk sleeve.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
no it cant be coolent.

Deglazing the cylinder is just as it says, and gives the new rings a new surface to wear in on..............

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sooo, would it wreck the engine to keep riding it? It only smokes in cold (20-30f) and not when it's warm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts