Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my raptor has new valves and a aftermarket cam and it smokes really bad all of the time the piston measures out fine so i dont think that is what is causing it to smoke. it is blue smoke so it would be oil and i dont know where it is coming from any help would be apperciated

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
Could be as simple as replacing the packing in your pipe. It may be saturated with oily residue, and cause it to smoke.

I'm afraid it could be something else though if it started doing this after the modifications.

~Brian

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
codyhcahoon said:
my raptor has new valves and a aftermarket cam and it smokes really bad all of the time the piston measures out fine so i dont think that is what is causing it to smoke. it is blue smoke so it would be oil and i dont know where it is coming from any help would be apperciated
you and me both are in the same place mine was rebuilt in the spring and after about 50 hours of riding it just started smoking blue smoke really bad and burning about half a liter - 3/4 of a liter of oil every ride i dont know what happend but im not pleased cause now i get to put it back in the shop and do everything all over again :mad: by the time i get done snow will be on the ground and riding wont be any good so im done for the yar by the looks of things with another month or 2 to go :mad: good luck finding out the problem with your bike keep a VERY close eye on that oil if you had put in to much oil is will smoke bad too i find and hurt the motor

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Rings or valve seals are the usual causes. Some aftermarket cams have clearance issue's with the center intake valve guide. Was this clearance checked at assembly?

AJ, thought about just a quick ring job. That only takes a few hours. Rings and a head gasket would be a cheap experiment to save the end of the season.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Yup sounds like ring trouble to me. Try the ring and head gasket change suggested. Some dope shops actually have been known to line up the ring's gaps... causing low compression and oil being burnt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts