Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an 05 raptor 660, and when it's steered to full lock, it seems like the steering gets stuck there. What could cause this? Really hard to turn back out of full lock.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, it's definitely toed out, guess I'll need to adjust that.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,829 Posts
What's the offset of your front wheels? If they are 3in or 4in out it will cause problems, especially 4in out!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just bought an 05 raptor 660, and when it's steered to full lock, it seems like the steering gets stuck there. What could cause this? Really hard to turn back out of full lock.

I'd start with checking alignment the toe in.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, just measured, looks like the toe is set wrong. Toed out just shy of an inch. That can't be good for steering.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What alignment can be checked besides toe? Are we talking rear axle aligned to the front or something like that?

Seems I have a bad ball joint on one side to take care of in addition to the toe being out.

·
10,829 Posts
What alignment can be checked besides toe? Are we talking rear axle aligned to the front or something like that?

Seems I have a bad ball joint on one side to take care of in addition to the toe being out.

Fix the ball joint first.
On a flat surface, Put a builders square against front wheels at the spindle nut. The gap from the tire to the square should be the same side to side.

·
Registered
434 Posts

For alignment you are making sure you front and rear wheels are parallel and straight with you handlebars. Go to about 8.5 in this video

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I'll check the alignment while I wait for my new carb. PO made a mess of them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it's possible my steering stops have been modified, or maybe just way out of adjustment tie rods? Either way, new tie rods going in today.

·
10,829 Posts
Look on the frame and the steering flag for grinder marks. Factory parts will be smooth.
If you need a new flag, (pitman arm) I have some for sale. I also have a extended steering shaft for sale.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts