Raptor Forum banner

Is the 07 Raptor 700R SE good on street

  • 07 Raptor 700R SE

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ¿street tires?

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the 07 Raptor 700R SE good on street?....and where could i find street tires for it??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
793 Posts
haha ... whats up with the pole? :confused: (EDIT: I know folks I spelled it wrong by mistake ;)

And what does your question mean? A moepad can be good on the road to get from point A to B .. just not in a timely manner. Are speaking about racing?

Do a search on here or check with one of the sponsers for street tires. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,678 Posts
The correct answer is....

¿street tires?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
I'm street drivng mine with the stock tires - lol.

It is WAY more stable then I would have expected at 50+. I use my GPS as a speedo but I don't technically have to have one to be legal.

If I start driving it regularly on the street (read this as if I figure out a way to secure it when parked) I'll go for a set of those TT tires from King's tire.

Shawn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Where are you allowed to ride these things on the street?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i live in Arizona...so as long as you have headlights, brake light, odometer, license plate, registration, motorcycle license and i heard you have to have at least one mirror...but i saw an ATV with mirrors in the hand guards......

the sales guy down at Yamaha tolds me i should go with the raptor because i wont be at a high rev constantly just trying to do 45mph.....which means less engine wear
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Ice4me said:
roc64 said:
Where are you allowed to ride these things on the street?
AZ is one state that I know of in the US. And countless of other contries
Wow, I didn't know that. I posted the other day to someone that they weren't street legal in the States. I stand corrected!!! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i heard something about california is going to make ATV's street legal....but i just heard it...not quite sure..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
FoxRacing1653 said:
i live in Arizona...so as long as you have headlights, brake light, odometer, license plate, registration, motorcycle license and i heard you have to have at least one mirror...but i saw an ATV with mirrors in the hand guards......

the sales guy down at Yamaha tolds me i should go with the raptor because i wont be at a high rev constantly just trying to do 45mph.....which means less engine wear
You don't need an odometer, or a MC license ;).

Check this out:
http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/outdoor_recreation/ohv/atv_brochure.pdf

Bottom line, you need MC plates (as opposed to the 'RV' offroad plates you normally get) and you regular driver's licence is good so long as it's a 4 wheeler.

To get MC plates, you need:

Brakes (got 'em stock)
Brake light (stock)
At least one headlight, but not more than 2 (stock)
Tail light (stock)
Red rear reflector (need this)
License plate on rear of ATV (need to figure this out)
License plate light (need this)
Horn you can hear from 200' (need this)
Muffler (stock)
Rear view mirror (need this)
Seat / footrests for operator (stock)
fuel tank cap (stock)
PHX / Tucson metro requires smog check. (only need after 5 years old)

I did all but the rear reflector on mine I plan on adding some red reflective decal on the tail section to make it 'legit'. For now I turn my lights on while on the street and I don't get any crap. My rear-view mirror is handlebar mounted and is all but worthless. It's legal though.



Horn in the fender:


I didn't have my horn or mirror on in this pic:


What isn't described above and come with it are the necessity to carry liability insurance, and the registration associated with the MC plate ($120 or so for the reg). It isn't a big deal to make the bike legal. I pieced together the goods and spent about $60.

There is no inspection when you claim to be street legal, just an afidavit.

Shawn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
The horn I got a Rocky Mountain ATV. If you look up horns it'll ask what bike it's for. It doesn't matter - they are all the same part number. $6!

For the horn switch I used a Tusk honda-style engine kill switch (just because it's plain black). You can see it on the right side of my handlebars. This switch is about $9 and worth it I think.

I'd do the bolt-style lights like the Summit-racing ones you linked. I went the cheap route with my plate lights and got some $1.99 ebay ones. As it turns out, the threaded bodies are pot metal and break VERY easy. If / when I have to replace them I'll get some stainless steel ones like the ones you linked.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shawnz said:
The horn I got a Rocky Mountain ATV. If you look up horns it'll ask what bike it's for. It doesn't matter - they are all the same part number. $6!

For the horn switch I used a Tusk honda-style engine kill switch (just because it's plain black). You can see it on the right side of my handlebars. This switch is about $9 and worth it I think.

I'd do the bolt-style lights like the Summit-racing ones you linked. I went the cheap route with my plate lights and got some $1.99 ebay ones. As it turns out, the threaded bodies are pot metal and break VERY easy. If / when I have to replace them I'll get some stainless steel ones like the ones you linked.

ok i guess ill go for those..did you buy the LP bracket or you made it?? where in AZ you located???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
FoxRacing1653 said:
ok i guess ill go for those..did you buy the LP bracket or you made it?? where in AZ you located???
I found it on ebay. It's a universal tag bracket for when a street bike eliminated the fender.

This is the guy I bought mine from:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110097097562

The price is certainly right ;). I fabricated a backing plate for inside the tail section and used foam tape on both sides so as not to stress the plastic. As I side effect it give it a little give. I'm happy with it.

These are the license plate bolts I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270083368678

I bought 3 pairs so I guess the price was more like $7 a set. Save your $$ and get the good ones.

Shawn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shawnz said:
FoxRacing1653 said:
ok i guess ill go for those..did you buy the LP bracket or you made it?? where in AZ you located???
I found it on ebay. It's a universal tag bracket for when a street bike eliminated the fender.

This is the guy I bought mine from:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110097097562

The price is certainly right ;). I fabricated a backing plate for inside the tail section and used foam tape on both sides so as not to stress the plastic. As I side effect it give it a little give. I'm happy with it.

These are the license plate bolts I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270083368678

I bought 3 pairs so I guess the price was more like $7 a set. Save your $$ and get the good ones.

Shawn
thanks a lot man.. :metal:.gotta start making a list of things... :lol: might need a lil help later on when i get the horn and stuff.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
FoxRacing1653 said:
thanks a lot man.. :metal:.gotta start making a list of things... :lol: might need a lil help later on when i get the horn and stuff.....
No problem! I'm in North Phoenix near I-17 / 101.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
cool man. i think i want to make my quad street legal eventually. just wondering did you not need signal lights?

thanks
 
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Top