Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping I could get some help and advice on how to replace the valve seals on 05 Raptor. I've gotten the cylinder head off and can't seem to find way to open it up in order to replace the valve seals. Behind where the sprocket for the camshaft is, there is a hole that goes down into the head, i think there may be an Allen bolt there or something, any ideas on what size or whether or not that will actually do anything. Basically I'd like a tutorial on how to replace the valve stem seal on my 2005 Raptor 350.

·
Registered
893 Posts
The valve seals are under the bolt on covers on the intake and exhaust sides of the head. You are going to need a spring compressor to change them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the head of the engine actually disassemble or do I have to change the seals through the side openings?

·
Registered
893 Posts
The seals are inside the valve springs. They could be changed without pulling the head, but I would not recommend you try it. I would suggest you get a manual and find the breakdown of the head before you dig too far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First off there is no way to do the valve seals with the head on! Not possible! You have to remove valve springs to do the valve seals. Theres no way to do that with the head still on. Also when you do remove the head you must replace the old head gasket with new. It is not reusable. Once the head is off you must remove the cam. Once the cam is out the tappers that push the valve down can now be lifted high enough to get a valve spring tool in there to remove the springs. Once springs are out replace the seals. Then its reassembly. Also I always use assembly lube or moly lube. There reason being is when you remove the head the oil while not be there to be present for the initial start up or turn over. It has zinc in it that will protect the cam and moving parts until the oil gets there from pressure in th motor. I even go a step further and pull the spark plug and ground it to the frame so I don't do ignition damage ad turn the motor over with the start button for 5 to 10 seconds to get the oil to the top without all the heat. Hope this helps had to set this thread straight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts