Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lost of people have been asking about 4 wheeling videos, so I thought I'd bust one out for you. This is thereinman riding his raptor (and sometimes his wife's KFX). I'd have posted one of me, but I'm a crappy rider, and it doesn't make for very good entertainment. It's about 3.5 minutes and 8.8mb, Enjoy:

Linkey

-SS

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything was shot at Little Sahara ATV rec area in central Utah. There are 3 areas, one called sand mountain, and it's HUGE HUGE HUGE, but it's usually so crowded that we don't bother riding there. The others are White sands and Jericho. I believe this was Jericho. Sometime I'll have to get the stats on sand mountain, because I think it's the biggest pile of sand (tallest and straightest) that I've ever seen in pictures or real life. I climbed it once on a Honda 400TRX and I swear it must have taken 2 full minutes to get to the top, pegged the whole way. Although I've seen a very sick rail shoot it in about 20 seconds. Next ride out, I'm going to get some freakin' sweet video though. I've built myself a steadycam, and I'm also trying to think up ways to get a bullet cam mounted on various spots on the quad so we can get some first person type shots without the bobblehead feeling you usually get from a helmet cam. The guy who edited that vid is not a user here, but he and therineman are currently working on the 2005 riding year video (this was a segment from our 2004 year).

Riding in the snow is the COOLEST feeling. It makes the sand hard, so you don't need paddles, but it also makes the surface a tad slippery, so you can whip it out pretty easily. Busting cornices of snow is fun, 'cause it flies everywhere, but you have to be carefull, because sometimes the snow blows into sink holes and fills them up... then you go splat. I was riding a Polaris 200 on that snow ride, so that's why I didn't show you my video... It's disturbingly anti-climatic. :)

Anyways, glad you enjoyed it. BTW, Flyinbyu, Little Sahara is about 2 hours away from where we are at, so it's a bit of a drive too, but not nearly as bad as 5 hours. That would suck.

-SS

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
There is another "Little Sahara" out in western Oklahoma, It takes about five hours from where I live to get there (Fort Smith, AR to Waynoka, OK)

Oklahoma's version of "Little Sahara" click here: http://www.waynoka.com/littlesahara/cgi-bin/index.cgi

I've heard about the one in Utah....I hear there are some real monster bowls and dunes out there!

I saw some videos about it on http://www.dunereview.com/home.htm . I would love to ride out there. Looks really nice.

Take care Squid.....

With a name like Squid, I take it you were a Navy man? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, Utah's Little Sahara has some really weird features... huge bowls, big razerbacks, and then there's sand mountain. It's huge! But the rails usually only go to the face of sand mountian, it's too rough of a ride anywhere else. The bowls behind sand mountain are by far the biggest. They are simply scarey. I've never measured one, but I'd bet they can get well over 150 feet from the bottom to the highest part of the rim. The WORST part about riding these bowls, is that you never know whats on the other side, and you can't back off while your going up, or you'll get stuck or flipped, so you just floor it to the top and pray to god that there's not a huge drop off or razerback on the other side, 'cause if there is, your going to loose that rental depost. For newbie riders like me and my son, it's much better to ride at white sands or Jericho because the dunes are very small, and if you make a mistake, there is forgiveness to be had. And it's easier to shoot video in the smaller dunes too. Next time I'm out, We'll shoot some video from the top of sand mountain to give you an idea of how high up it is.

As for Squid... nope, not in the navy. Sometimes I wish I were, but squid is also a term in motorcycles for the idiot who can't ride but thinks he can... doesn't wear safety gear and basicly has a death wish. However, I'm not like that. don't get me wrong, I really suck, and I'll probably die, but at least I try to be carefull. I allways wear a helmet, and if I could afford it. I'd probably wear shoes too... it's tough to hike in sand with flip flops. ;) But seriously, I'm kind of a squid because I'm just new to the sport, and I don't have a quad of my own yet. When I finally score one (aproximately 3 months from whenever hell freezes over) I'll probably change my name to reflect the kind of machine I own.

See ya around,

-SS

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
Hey, I ride in awkward gear too. Shorts, tennis shoes, hell around my neighborhood I even ride around in flip flops (I don't ride hard that's for sure).

I took a long break from riding.  I raced quite a bit up until I was 17. FLASHBACK------------->I'll never forget getting passed (UH, LAPPED) by Gary Denton in Boyd, TX. <---------------My idol was Jimmy White, because he rode the same bike I did, The Tecate.

I bought my Raptor new in 2003 after selling my street bike. Needless to say after riding two strokes most of my life, a bike with valves was a new experience. I have since found out that I wasn't as brave as I was when I was younger, and that I wasn't able to heal broken bones as fast anymore.

I guess I'm back to being a sqiud in a sense, not attempting those thirty foot doubles anymore, nor triples (however I'm good for a 10-12 foot double after studying it for awhile).

No matter what you think Sandsquid, you're doing something right. You're riding!!!!  :thumbsup:

·
Registered
419 Posts
I feel sory for you riding that polaris I heard one mag couldnt even drive it up the ramp getting into the truck because it didnt have enough power

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
firstraptor said:
Could you talk your friend into a post about editing? The software ect. He does nice work.
I'll ask him. I'm pretty sure it was done with Adobe Premiere but I'll check. I've done some editing in the past too, but I think he's better than me. He certainly has a knack for picking good music and timing the scene cuts to match the pace. I believe he has a screen name here waterman981, but I don't know if he checks it, so I'll Email him to come over and check out this thread.

-SS

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dirt 101 said:
I feel sory for you riding that polaris I heard one mag couldnt even drive it up the ramp getting into the truck because it didnt have enough power
Now why do you think they come with winches on the front? :grin_nod:

This vid came from a DVD we made... each person has a section. The opening scene in my section starts with me and another guy pushing that polaris out of a high centered rear end, after I got it stuck comming out of a bowl. The only way to get that thing out of the bowl was to go round and round as fast as you could, and hope that the centrifugal force was enough to hold you on the wall of the bowl. I turned out about 15 feet below the lip of the bowl thinking I could climb the rest of the way up, but was sorely mistaken. It was a royal piece of crap, but I'm still grateful to have ridden it, because it was my first time ever at the dunes, and my third time ever on a quad. Anything more than that and I may have killed myself. I'm a much better rider now. My last ride was a rental Honda 400trx that I could jump perhaps 7-10 feet, and about 2-3 feet in the air, and I can regularly case a double now. :lol: Don't worry, once I get my rappy, I'll do better.

-SS

·
Registered
6 Posts
firstraptor said:
Could you talk your friend into a post about editing? The software ect. He does nice work.
Yeah, I use Adobe Premiere. Therineman actually edited his own video, and probably does most of the video usually. I do a more minor part of the video, but do all the DVD creation in DVD-Lab. I should be working on our 2005 video right now, but it's too easy to get sidetracked. Like Sandsquid said, we make highlight videos for every main rider that came out with us during the year. This year we are making our video more like a mountain bike video I have, where it is one long video. We started off with a section of everyone, then are going through highlighting each rider for about 1/2 a song. We will finish with the best of the best at the end.

We were going to try to use Premiere Pro 1.5, and although it has so very many cool features, we decided to go back to using Premiere 6.5. The reason we chose this is that we pulled video from about 5 tapes. We then cut it all up, deleting all the stuff we knew we weren't going to use. After that, laying out everything on our main timeline was much more of a pain in 1.5. So we have every clip there, and pull down the clips as we go to come up with our final order.
I can definitley say that therineman's video this year will be even better... It starts with him fixing his bike and you get a crack shot! :puke: But after that it should be very high action. It will be good.

·
Registered
833 Posts
i say stay away from the crack. i just watched that video of me and i would have to say that i have taken it up a noch for 05' but have also been riding with a few friends that make me feel like i need some trainging wheels if you could put them on a quad.

·
Registered
833 Posts
not yfz but works shocks

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, I popped the file. I didn't think anybody was looking at it, as I was getting very little traffic from it on my server. I can put it back if you want to see it. I just didn't want to host it indefinately, becuase I have a limited bandwidth, and you know if I just left it there, some other message board would discover it and over night I'd swamp my bandwidth and have a $200 hosting bill for the month. Let me know if you want it back up and I'll host it for another week or so.

-SS

1 - 20 of 31 Posts