Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine just picked up his new can-am 800 vtwin. He says the dealer told him this is the fastest, and quickest quad out right now. I know that he wont be able to touch me in the woods or trails, but am not sure about a drag race. I will be ridding with him next weekend what should I expect?

·
Registered
902 Posts
I would expect the CanAm to be FAST!!! It may be heavy but, it is a twin 800. . . it is gonna be fast.

I just switched over from the DS 650 to the Raptor. Can-Am Factory guy tried to talk me into the 800 but, I told him I wanted MORE nimble. . . my DS was bored/stroked to 760 so, it wasn't about power, I already had power.

They are totally different bikes that shouldn't be compared. If I were on rocky trails, I'ld buy the Can-Am but, I ride the dunes. . . the Can-Am will be fast in a straight line but, no way will it be able to keep up with the Raptor on a dune ride. . . wouldn't be any fun either.

Don't worry about it being faster in a straight line. . . pick your race around a track or something. He will be less sore after a day of riding but, you'll have had fun he couldn't have had because you just can't throw it around like you can the Raptor.

Reality. . . who cares, as long as you are happy and your bud is happy.

Just RIDE!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Let us know how it goes. No one has a Can Am around where I live so I have no idea, but I would think with it being a 800 it's going to be pretty quick.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I've heard those things will wind up to just over 90mph stock. You can have it, I'd sure hate to stop that heffer from that speed when the first corner pops up. I just rode with some people that had grizzle 700's, they sure thought they where fast. It took less than an 1/8 mile in the woods before they where off in the ru-barb. Freak'n dorks! Had to wait almost 20 min for them at the T in the trail. Thankfully no one got hurt but their pride.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I believe they have 62 HP STOCK :eek: However, they weigh a bit more than 200 lbs over the raptor. They are nice bikes for sure, but still heavy. Not a dune machine, but a good overall quad.

They also clock in at something like 10,500...... no thanks.

http://www.atvconnection.com/Features/ATV_Reviews/CAN-AM-Renegade-800.cfm

597 lbs dry, while our raptors are rated at 396 dry

·
Registered
394 Posts
NVMYZ28 said:
I believe they have 64 HP STOCK :eek: However, they weigh a bit more than 200 lbs over the raptor. They are nice bikes for sure, but still heavy. Not a dune machine, but a good overall quad.

They also clock in at something like 10,500...... no thanks.
Are you serious, $10,500? Man, I could put build the heck out of my Raptor and have less money in it for that. I didn't realize they were going for that much.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I had one. It's got good points and bad. For a 4x4, it's very light compared to the other stuff out there. It handles very well. On rough trails, it's unstoppable. But, it has lousy shocks, it runs very hot and needs a few parts added on to make it safely trailable, ie, skid plates. Does'nt come with those. All in all, it's a good machine, but you guys are right, big price tag. The Renegade would be a better machine as it's a crossover type, sort of the best of both worlds....leaning more to the 4x4 side. All depends on what you want it for. Dunes? I don't know, none around my part of the country. But forest type trails, it's good. You can load up a bunch of stuff and go all day. You'll just have a hot arse and legs from the heat!

I got rid of mine for the Raptor and I haven't looked back. I just don't ride the old rutted out trails with the Raptor, no worries then.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Jman said:
Are you serious, $10,500? Man, I could put build the heck out of my Raptor and have less money in it for that. I didn't realize they were going for that much.
I just looked it up, the sporty "Renegade" is around low 9's (9100ish), and the more utility version "Outlander" is around 10,500.

http://www.can-am.brp.com/en-US/Vehicles/Renegade/Models.htm

Renegade (MSRP): $9,299.00

·
Registered
28 Posts
I saw one of those things at the Pismo dunes a few weeka ago. He was outrunning stock yfz450's. But you know that a stock Raptor 700 can get a 450 and mine was not stock. I imagine a few mods and that can am would be rally fast. Oh, he was riding with 2 people. Personally I would love to have one, I love to rock crawl with my modded 4runner, and a 4x4 quad would be great, especially with that kind of power and 2 seats.

·
Registered
468 Posts
If you are on dirt or pavement he will give you all that you can handle and maybe more. If you are on sand though it should be your race. I have some seat time on one (in sand only) and although it does have tremendous power it is just giving up too much weight and doesn't come out of the hole very well. The Can Am even had paddles all around. If the surface is rough you again will have it. The Can Am was a lot of fun but very limited on the dunes.

Craig,

·
Registered
209 Posts
On the CanAm forum, Renegade owners are claiming 85 MPH indicated as their top speed. About 10 faster than a Raptor, IIRC.
Whatever.
Yeah, it's got 50% more horsepower. It's also got 50% more weight. When I bought my quad, I could have had either one, but there are things more important to me than having the fastest machine on paper.
My Dad bought a Renegade. It seems nice, of you're into that kind of thing. Too bad they have very little aftermarket support.

·
Registered
14 Posts
9k thats cheap.. I paid about 15k for a Raptor here in Sweden... It's kinda expensive here.
The Renegade cost about 20k here... Just some useless info :)

·
Registered
994 Posts
I've heard those things will wind up to just over 90mph stock

LOL no.

Unless my bike can go 90 too?

The 800 is a beast and it's very fast. I have a couple races on YouTube one of my Uncle winning and another of me winning.

We raced again yesterday with the same results of 1-1.

·
Registered
665 Posts
beat loosenutz on his renegade in a drag race at tower city, got the 700 with the big three, and i dont really race that well, and i weigh about 250, my other boy on a 700 smoked his ass real good, but hes a really good rider thou

·
Registered
554 Posts
When dirtwheels did their review of one they weighed it and said it was just a tad under 800 lbs. The claimed 597 lbs dry is said to be done with absolutely no liquids, including shock oil, and battery.

Dry weight doesn't mean crap. Manufacturer's should have to give weight's with full oil, full radiators, full shocks and battery.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Well I'm looking for another source of info then, I need a tie breaker. No atv gains 200 pounds from dry to wet so either Bomb is lieing their arse off or dirtwheels isn't on the up and up. My guess is bomb's being overly conservative, but I can't count out DW being full of it either.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
PaleRider said:
When dirtwheels did their review of one they weighed it and said it was just a tad under 800 lbs. The claimed 597 lbs dry is said to be done with absolutely no liquids, including shock oil, and battery.

Dry weight doesn't mean crap. Manufacturer's should have to give weight's with full oil, full radiators, full shocks and battery.
I agree, that would be nice.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts