Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many has had problems beating the suzuki. Fill me in on this. I get them through 3rd gear but after that im eating rocks. What is something i can do to keep the top end. My bike is all stock with GYTR jet kit and pro flow K&N filter, with a 15 tooth front sprocket and a whit bros pipe. All the suzuki has is a pipe and cherry bomb. What do i need to do to throw some rocks back?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The 660 and the 450 are two totally different animals.

Your 660 is a multi-purpose quad with good torque and more weight.

The 450 is a porpose-built quad with not much torque but a lot of top end.

That's why you get him off the line but then he pulls away. Is your pipe a full system or just a slip on?

I think you're just going to need more power because you're already running a 15t front.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You need roughly 47hp to just keep up because I have ran 3 or 4 of them on my '06 450 Honda that puts out 47hp/35tq and it is always a really close race, within 1/2 a bike and the ones I have ran have had the cherry bomb and lid off.
Get with CoalShed racing and he can get your bike lengths beyond the Suzuki

·
Registered
833 Posts
hell i am starting to think of just getting a new quad because to make my old 660 keep up it would cost at least an arm. it may be time to start over.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
It all depends on your budget. I would suggest ditching the white bros pipe and getting a CT or Sparks full exhaust.

Beleive it or not, you can achieve almost 50hp with just a full CT or Sparks with your current mods.

And a stock bore 11:1 piston and stage one hotcam would also make a big difference and would stay pretty inexpensive. Once you get past that, your dollar:hp ratio starts to suffer.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
therineman said:
hell i am starting to think of just getting a new quad because to make my old 660 keep up it would cost at least an arm. it may be time to start over.
Don't say that! If you read my last reply, you'll find that a high comp piston and a hotcam is pretty cheap and will give you a significant boost! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
833 Posts
pewterpecker said:
therineman said:
Don't say that! If you read my last reply, you'll find that a high comp piston and a hotcam is pretty cheap and will give you a significant boost! :thumbsup:
i am not talking about just motor and power but all around. i have already spent plenty of money but i am looking and another few thousand to get it were i want. is it worth puting in that extra money. or just get something newer.

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
therineman said:
i am not talking about just motor and power but all around. i have already spent plenty of money but i am looking and another few thousand to get it were i want. is it worth puting in that extra money. or just get something newer.
02" Raptor LE
-g force +2 rear axle
-front and rear works shocks
-full system Yosimura pipe
-pro flow air filter with pre filter
-jet kit
-gtyr skid plates,bumpers,and grag bar
-gtyr heal guards, and oil filter cover
-skat trac haulers
-renthal handle bars

Sounds like all you need handling wise is a set of a-arms (500), not sure what else you mean by "all-around"

If you're considering a change, do it before buying another single part for the 660.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Maddog56 said:
therineman said:
02" Raptor LE
-g force +2 rear axle
-front and rear works shocks
-full system Yosimura pipe
-pro flow air filter with pre filter
-jet kit
-gtyr skid plates,bumpers,and grag bar
-gtyr heal guards, and oil filter cover
-skat trac haulers
-renthal handle bars

Sounds like all you need handling wise is a set of a-arms (500), not sure what else you mean by "all-around"

If you're considering a change, do it before buying another single part for the 660.
i really would be dumb to sell. really i need to finish the raptor and then get something new. i am going to get +2 a arms but i also then need to have the works shocks reworked for the wider front end. so new plastic would be nice the motor (i hope i have tons more time on it) may need to be rebuilt. i would also like nerf bars. so my point is. sell the bike as is for say 3500 dollars and save the 2,000 dollars in raptor wants and i almost have money for a new bike. i am just excited to see what is next. you know with the new kfx 450 comming out soon and the rumors of a new can am 450. who knows.

·
Registered
833 Posts
well all the dealers want to be the best and it is forcing them to come out with great stuff it would be impossible to keep up.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
pewterpecker said:
It's almost as bad as computers! I gave up!!! I was buying new computers all the time to stay on top, and now I'm running a 4 year old computer because I got sick of it. ::)
Me too, I think mine is the windows model "T".. Have to crank start it before I get online... :lol:

·
Registered
19 Posts
A buddy of mine has a brand new suzuki 450 and I beat him with my rappy all the time. His is bone stock but I dont think He can get it to pull a wheelie in thrid gear I wasn't impressed Im not going to lie. I would say your raptor is not running right especially if you say it sputters when you pull wheelies. Then again it could do a lot with the rider, such as weight. My raptor consists of DynoJet needles with mikuni mains, proflo kit, dr. d slip on(best money I have spent on my raptor right there) and Holeshots which I mention only because the rears are said to be 20x11x9 and actually measure to about 21 and a 1/2. If your going to buy a new quad get somthing badass like a new raptor 700. Its almost garanteed that kawasaki will just buy ltr 450s from suzuki and put green fenders on em so no excitement there.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.