Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what are some common problems with the Raptor 660? Especially when related to racing/more HP?

So far, I've heard that the frame needs gusseting. The "one way bearing" (what is that anyways?) is of poor design, and that the carrier is crappy (why? and why do some prefer honda style?).

What else am I going to run into while racing/modifying my Raptor?

·
Registered
320 Posts
The 1way starter clutch is a poor design. Many have exsperiance problems with it. I replaced mine little after a year of buying my quad new in late 02 was a 03 model. Since it was stolen in 04 and return 06the 1way going out again errrr. It`s not that big of a problem to keep anyone from buying a raptor. They have the L&A one way which is much stronger and better design for replacement. When it starts to go out or get bad you here clunking some times when shut off and rough noise starting it up. for me my first time replaceing it I started to here noise while rideing and took it easy and got it home and took it to shop. I herd the clunk rough noise before but never knew what it was when i got the exhust and jet thats when it really started to go out and made the noise while rideing. Hope i helped you out about the 1way many topis here about it.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Watch out for 2001 Transmissions, but you have an 05 so you shouldent have that problem......defently gusset the frame if your gonna be racing hard, I acctually had 2 replace mine this past summer b\c it had over 30 breaks and cracks in it!...The Electrical system can give ya nightmares but if its kept clean and you dont have any aftermarket hookups or so you should be alright.........other than the obvious stated above you should not have any problems that are directly 660 related

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, I was just making sure I fixed everything that may give me problems before dumping all the money I have budgeted for the project into the mods... because you know how it is... right when you spend all the money that's when something breaks. :'(

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
how much $, how hard is it to replace the starter clutch? mine makes that clunking noise when starting sometimes and i think if i turn it off in gear, it also makes the noise if the rpms are too low and in gear and i give it gas

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, and it normal for the clutch to stick when you try to start it when the bike is new (like it lurches when you try to start it because the clutch doesn't disengage)? It's still happening (I've only got 10 hours)... the dealer told me it was normal.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Probably just needs adjustment, clutch should be broken in after 10 hours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts