Raptor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i tried to start my raptor after it had sat all winter without being charged. when i turn the key, all lights come on. but when i hit the starter, it just makes a buzzing sound. is this a dead batter? or something else? it ran fine when i parked it.

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
I'd say its a bad battery. Get it charged/replaced and report back.

·
Master of the Electron
15,668 Posts
Battery is discharged and probably sulfated beyond repair - but a good charge overnight will tell for sure. It needs a charge every few weeks or it will self destruct.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
i tried to start my raptor after it had sat all winter without being charged. when i turn the key, all lights come on. but when i hit the starter, it just makes a buzzing sound. is this a dead batter? or something else? it ran fine when i parked it.
A bad connection at the battery, or inside the battery or a bad battery...........

·
Registered
72 Posts
Battery is discharged and probably sulfated beyond repair - but a good charge overnight will tell for sure. It needs a charge every few weeks or it will self destruct.
I disagree, batteries often sit for much longer than a few weeks without issue, my battery sits all winter without charge and i've never had an issue with it not recharging. I've never heard of a battery going bad from sitting a few weeks.

Most likely your battery is just dead from sitting all winter, a good charge and you will probably be good to go, worst case you need to replace the battery.

·
Master of the Electron
15,668 Posts
Rob: You may disagree all you wish, but you can't reverse the chemistry of the battery, nor its self discharge rate and subsequent sulfation - all of which lead to premature battery death.

If you regularly let a lead acid starting battery self discharge to below 70-80% of full charge (which can take as little as 2-3 weeks) the plates WILL begin to sulfate. Repeated treatement this way (or more extensive self dischage periods) will lead to an accumulation of sulfation that renders the battery worthless.

If you're lucky, you may not see it the first season or so, but you WILL eventually; and you'll be replacing yours while I'm still happily running on my old, cheap battery that's been faithfully attached to a Battery Tender Jr.

Music Man - fully charge your battery. If it works, consider yourself lucky (but still, its life expectancy has likely been shortened).

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I disagree, batteries often sit for much longer than a few weeks without issue, my battery sits all winter without charge and i've never had an issue with it not recharging. I've never heard of a battery going bad from sitting a few weeks.

Most likely your battery is just dead from sitting all winter, a good charge and you will probably be good to go, worst case you need to replace the battery.
Then you have been extremely lucky............

·
Registered
505 Posts
look for a battery that fits your raptor...OR if you want a HD battery, buy one for a grizzly 660. I run one of those and has more CCAs but you cant use the stock battery holder....nothing a lil modification cant fix.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
The battery department...............:)
Lol this guy! Always got to have one, right? When you do manage to get to the battery department, as Willy so generously pointed out (he usually charges for that info, so be thankful it was free this time), there will be a book there that will tell you what battery goes into your Raptor. But, like was mentioned, with a little modification, a Grizz battery can work as well.

·
Master of the Electron
15,668 Posts
Take old battery with you and buy one that matches in size and in Amp Hours (or higher). They charge a $6.00 core fee (at least in overly eco friendly California) if you don't trade your old battery in.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
They charge even more in good old Ontario if you dop not have an exchange battery..........Not sure in the small batteries but car sized batteries are 25 bucks, the 4Ds are around 75 bucks...............

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Take old battery with you and buy one that matches in size and in Amp Hours (or higher). They charge a $6.00 core fee (at least in overly eco friendly California) if you don't trade your old battery in.
Lol, overly eco friendly California. They are charging more in Michigan for the cores than they are in Cali! But yet the emissions laws are less strict. Tell me how that makes sense? $10 for the core. I was unaware of this when I went to get my new battery for the Rap. Thought I was getting a pretty good deal on it and then they slap me in the face with a price $10 higher. Would have cost me the same price at my local parts store. They already had the core charge thrown in, haha.

Luckily, we aren't being charged as much as Willy is up in the cold country. I bet Willy has 3 Battery Tender Jr's on every battery, just so his don't crap out on him, haha!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Lol, overly eco friendly California. They are charging more in Michigan for the cores than they are in Cali! But yet the emissions laws are less strict. Tell me how that makes sense? $10 for the core. I was unaware of this when I went to get my new battery for the Rap. Thought I was getting a pretty good deal on it and then they slap me in the face with a price $10 higher. Would have cost me the same price at my local parts store. They already had the core charge thrown in, haha.

Luckily, we aren't being charged as much as Willy is up in the cold country. I bet Willy has 3 Battery Tender Jr's on every battery, just so his don't crap out on him, haha!
Prior to the winter, I charge the batteries to full charge and then put them in the coldest storage facility I have, they stay nice and cozy until spring with no charger attached..............:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.