Raptor Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
I'm sure nobody is chiming in because the correct advice was given before and you didn't believe it. So yes it is a great forum, maybe next time your stubbornness won't cost you as much.

To try and help, is the gas fresh? Sounds like pinging to me, so to low of octane.

·
Master of the Electron
14,507 Posts
Either your carbs are dirty internally or you have an RPM limiter problem... have you read the sticky about common 660 problems yet? It explains all of this in detail!

You can't expect everyone to do your homework for you, nor can you expect continued suggestions from us when you ignore all that had been given...

Great forum? Hell yes... Read and listen a little more and you will see it too!

BTW, that wire/connection you asked about is not stock... there's no way we can determine what it is unless you can tell us where it goes or if has a color and stripe color? What are they?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I never ignored any advice. I charged the battery like you said and it fired up. And YES I looked around everywhere and couldn't find anyone with the same symptoms as me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I don't think low octane gas would make it do that but I'll go ahead and replace it with 93. Not sure what octane is in it right now... And that wire is just solid blue, connected to the negative battery terminal. It's just hanging and not connected to anything else. I couldn't find anywhere where it might go. Not sure why it's there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Sorry if I upset anyone earlier I'm just pretty mad that I got screwed over with this thing. I was under the impression that it just had started problems and nothing wrong with the engine. I don't have any money to get it fixed at a dealer so I'd have to do all this work myself...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Update: I poured the old fuel out and put in fresh 93 octane to see if that would make a difference. It made no difference and when I cranked it up it filled my whole garage with smoke just idling.

·
Master of the Electron
14,507 Posts
The wire is not stock.. and no wire (other than the negative battery cable) normally connects to the negative battery terminal, so can't help you there.

Have you read about the RPM limiters yet? Not saying that's the whole problem, but its a place to start.

Is the smoking idle a NEW issue or just not mentioned before?

Bottom line - you need compression, fuel and spark for it to run properly... if it's not an RPM limiter issue (and it doesn't really sound like it from the video) then it's compression or fuel related. Did you clean the passages in the carbs (not just soaked, but sprayed through with spray cleaner and air, and wire 'rodded' out the small passages and jets?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
No I don't know anything about rpm limiters. Could that have something to do with it? I would just assume I have a blown head gasket or need a new top end but it's the fact that it's popping and has good compression confuses me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The smoking while idling i guess is not new, however I didn't notice it the last time it idled. And I took out each jet individually and cleaned the passages. None of them are clogged.

·
Master of the Electron
14,507 Posts
So... if it's a common issue, I'd say the next things to check are:

1) Is the cam timing correct or has it slipped a tooth or two - this can cause symptoms similar to yours

Check that the piston is at very top of travel when the flywheel's "I" is showing in the left side cover inspection hole. If not, cam timing is off.

2) Are the needle jet emulsion tubes in backwards - can also cause similar symptoms...

None of this explains the smoke... but If it's a one-of-a-kind issue, we're gonna have to troubleshoot for a while more.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I'll see about the timing and stuff. I really don't feel comfortable tearing into the engine at all. I feel like I'd just mess it up worse than it is... I've been researching every day for hours and I'm not seeing anything else like this online. Also idk if this info helps or not but the guy I bought it from said he was mudding on it and it just stopped running. Not sure if it's all true or not or if he sunk it into the water or something of that nature.

·
Master of the Electron
14,507 Posts
Check #1 above... It's easy and a good possibility.

just use a dowel or screwdriver in the spark plug hole and pull the simple screwed on inspection cover over the flywheel - left side. Take off the crank inspection cover, also unscrews from left side, and turn the crank counter-clockwise with a socket while watching the dowel rise... stop when it stops rising and look for the 'I' in the other hole.

·
Master of the Electron
14,507 Posts
Where are you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought a 2003 Yamaha raptor today. It runs but only by roll starting! When I turn it on with the key and press the button to start it, it just makes a clicking noise and will occasionally try to turn the starter but it never really does. I'm thinking I need to buy a new starter but before I do that I want to make sure that's the issue. I already took the one that's on it off. Does this sound like I'd need to replace the starter?

·
Master of the Electron
14,507 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

You are asking questions of a 4 year old post...

What are YOUR issues? Give us lotsa detail and we'll try to help you.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts