Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been wanting to try this for the past 2 years! So I got a old set of skis and made up a set of brackets. I know that I will end up braking something. But now it is off my bucket list..... Ha-Ha. I live in Ohio near Cleveland and we are now getting some snow. If anyone has any pictures or some more info please post them.​

Attachments

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is some more info that I found on the INTERNET! Its fun to play around in the snow with a sport quad with tires, but most of the drag that slows you down is caused by the front wheels pushing through the snow. With skis you go over the snow with the front and your ability to go through deeper snow is greatly improved. We've ridden our test machines side by side with snowmobiles in the ditches and over the snow drifts, and have had a great time doing it.

You can run in the snow with your stock tires, but we have found that MUD SHARK tires are the best for being able to get incredible traction in almost all conditions. They are highly recommended if you are looking for a special snow tire. Another option is from .com. They have a paddle tire for the rear that really gets you through the deep snow! These can also be combined with track systems on the rear. Look for us to offer tracks in the future!

To limit the rotation of the ski's, we have several solutions that have been used.

Some of our customers just grab the front brake whenever they hit a jump, but don't forget or you could have a problem. We don't recommend this solution.

You can run a bungee cord from each ski loop to the front bumper, this is the simplest solution that is also the most effective.

We have also had good luck with putting a bolt or plastic tie strap in the holes of the brake discs that limits the downward travel of the ski tips. This can be done to limit the travel in each direction. A plastic bolt or tie strap will make sure you don't damage the brake disc.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I live in nothern indiana and today we got our secound snowfall of the season, so i fired my rappy up it is impossible to get the power down or get past forty. I too have been wanting to build some ski's but i cant find any good people backed stories of these really working on a quad. i know when my front tires are at fifty pounds their harder than skis and skinny as hell. has any one out there ever really used these? with my current setup i cant go through more than three-four inches what can ski's gain.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Seen a guy use tie straps to the tires to keep the skis in place. Get on you tube look up spartanktm- he has a vid of the raptor with just the skis in the snow. ATV skis should bring up some vids too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm waiting for the snow to fly so I can test mine out too

·
Premium Member
270 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
ok do you have some sort of stop so they dontflip forward or backwords if u wheelie up and keep an eye on your a arms for bending back

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Do the rear tires just dig down to dirt, and just throw rooster tails the whole time ?? Or do they actually stay on top of the snow?

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We ride all winter long, I had a kfx450 and a friend had a Raptor 700. He would run circles around me. So I sold the 450 and got the Raptor. I had a never tryed the ski's until this year. I made them in about 2 hours and $50 for the sled we are going to scrap. Having a friend with a plasma cutter and drill press helps. The pictures looks cool as hell and It looks bad ass back up in my truck. That was fun to load next time I will load it on the trailer. HaHa

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Raptor with ski's video

I hope the video works. I had a blast riding around the yard. It turns good, Glad that I did it. I use a Oregon scietific ATC3K. On the bars. I know the sound sucks bad but it works
http://youtu.be/3nS9u59xhQ0

·
Registered
594 Posts
are those Trail Tech lights or something else?

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
They look fun, so do the ones with the tracks. But I couldn't justify spending that much on a system like that. You could get a nice sled for how much the tracks and skis go for. Your bike looks really nice Dan. Really improved since you got it.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, Rappy97 I only have $50 into the ski's and I can remove them in 5 mins. yes they are Trail Tech lights I took them out of the box and powder coated them black.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I was looking at this kit also since it was only $70. BUT This kit is for the bracket only if you read all of the fine print. You still need 2 ski doo skis or precision skis about $70each, then you need the hardware about $14each, then you need carbides about $50each.......

I am still considering it because I have an extra set old ski doo skis laying around off of my bro's 2010MXZ X but not sure if I am going to. I think I'd rather sink my money into new tires and a pc5 right now.....

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I hope the video works. I had a blast riding around the yard. It turns good, Glad that I did it. I use a Oregon scietific ATC3K. On the bars. I know the sound sucks bad but it works
http://youtu.be/3nS9u59xhQ0
Looks good, nice job..The audio makes it kinda sound like a 2 mstroke in your vid..:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts