Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone offered up a thread on rewiring a Raptor with only the essential wires needed to Start, Run, Cool, and GO! I vaguely remember someone discussing how much weight they saved in doing this years ago. I'm simply curious about getting rid of anything that may compromise starting or ignition 15 miles from my truck without causing problems to the CDI.

·
Master of the Electron
14,518 Posts
Hmmm, what's really needed? Depends on what you leave behind.

Assuming you dump all lights (including dashboard), but keep the key switch and run/stop switch you need:

1) heavy positive cable from battery to solenoid and from solenoid to starter
1A) heavy ground cable from battery to engine case and small black that comes from large black. (feeds the complete black {ground} harness)
2) red wire from solenoid to key switch and rec/reg (+12)
3) Black wire from rec/reg (rec/reg ground)
3) brown wire from key switch to run/stop switch (switched +12)
4) red/black wire from run/stop to CDI (CDI power +12)
5) all stator wires to CDI (red, 2 white/greens and white/red) and to rec/reg (3 white)
6) orange wire from CDI to coil, and black from coil to ground (coil pulses) and of course, from coil to spark plug
7) black wire from CDI to ground (CDI ground)
8 ) yellow/black from CDI to solenoid (solenoid coil 12V)
9) blue/black from solenoid to starter switch (solenoid coil ground when pushed)
9A) black wire from left switch cluster to ground (the ground needed for the starter push button)
10) all the red/white, blue and black wires that are part of the fan circuit
10A) the blue/yellow, white and black wires that go to the speed sensor, along with the sensor.

If you choose to use the 'safety' switches you need:
11) light blue from neutral switch to CDI (neutral switch wire)
12) black yellow from clutch switch to CDI (clutch switch wire) and the black (ground) to the clutch switch

If you're going to eliminate the safety switches then you need to, instead:
11) ground the light blue wire that leads to the CDI (CDI thinks you're in neutral)
12) ground the black/yellow wire that leads to the CDI (CDI thinks clutch is pulled)

THen you need to
13) ground the green/white wire coming to the CDI (eliminate reverse limiter)
14) cut the green/yellow (parking brake switch) near the CDI and tape the end that leads to the CDI. (eliminates PB limiter)

THis is from memory, haven't looked at the wiring diagram yet... but I think that's it. If I think of any more, I'll edit.

There really is little weight savings from removing copper wire (maybe a couple of pounds max), but removing the accessories that the wires lead to may help.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THis is from memory, haven't looked at the wiring diagram yet... but I think that's it. If I think of any more, I'll edit.
[/QUOTE]

Only the "Master of the Electron" can keep all that in his memory. :eek:

·
Master of the Electron
14,518 Posts
Honestly, the only wire colors I need the diagram for are those leading to the headlights, tail lights and brake lights... I seldomly have to deal with them. The rest have just imprinted in my memory from walking ppl through troubleshooting here at the forum.

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts
Has anyone offered up a thread on rewiring a Raptor with only the essential wires needed to Start, Run, Cool, and GO! I vaguely remember someone discussing how much weight they saved in doing this years ago. I'm simply curious about getting rid of anything that may compromise starting or ignition 15 miles from my truck without causing problems to the CDI.
I removed about half the wiring, grounded the green and white wire internally along with the clutch switch wires hooked together, cut out the PB wires and sealed them, removed all lighting and wiring, all what is left is the charging circuit and ignition circuits, the CDI, voltage regulator and battery were all moved to the front of the bike..................

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have any idea what goes to what
The Blue/white wire and the black wire go to your thermostat. The blue wire with a black wire goes together for your fan. The green/yellow is the parking brake I personally just chased it back to the CDI box when I pulled the harness and cut it off there and pulled the wire out I left enough wire in case that I ever wanted to hook it back up (I almost guarantee I won't but it's just nice to know I can go back) The white/blue wire is in a connector with the red/black wire, 2 brown wires, light blue, and green/blue wire. I just redid my harness yesterday. I hope that helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts