Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems my rear brake caliper is very loose after picking it up from my local yamaha shop. I didnt notice before i took it but i am not taking it back to them. The rear brake still works fine but the caliper makes noise and kinda rattles. Is there someway to tighten is down or am I going to need a whole new caliper?

·
2008 SMX Series Champion HO
2,679 Posts
2 12mm bolts hold the caliper to the swingarm

·
Registered
247 Posts
First off devildog, the statement "2 12mm bolts hold the caliper to the swingarm" is a little misleading. Those 2 -12mm bolts only fasten the caliper bracket to the swingarm. The caliper can still be loose no matter how tight you make those bolts.

If you notice, the brake caliper actually sits on two metal cylindrical sliders. These sliders are connected to the caliper bracket, which connects to the rear swingarm. There are suppose to be two rubber boots in the two holes, in the caliper itself, where the caliper mounts to the caliper bracket (the sliders). Make sure these two rubber boots are there, and then make sure they are in good condition.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you notice, the brake caliper actually sits on two metal cylindrical sliders. These sliders are connected to the caliper bracket, which connects to the rear swingarm. There are suppose to be two rubber boots in the two holes, in the caliper itself, where the caliper mounts to the caliper bracket (the sliders). Make sure these two rubber boots are there, and then make sure they are in good condition.

My 02 Wolverine had that same brake setup.The brakes still working really well but the caliper was loose and it chattered.One day while I was riding down at Hatfield McCoys on the side of a mountain going about 45mph I hit the back brake and the caliper popped off the mount.Then I was left with no back brake and it almost caused me to go over the edge of the trail and down the side of the mountain.

Anyway.Even though they work I would STRONGLY suggest getting it fixed ASAP.It can turn out to be pretty dangerous.I was lucky my front brakes were good or I would have been pretty messed up.

monty23 said something about the rubber boots and that was what my problem was.

·
2,679 Posts
First off devildog, the statement "2 12mm bolts hold the caliper to the swingarm" is a little misleading. Those 2 -12mm bolts only fasten the caliper bracket to the swingarm. The caliper can still be loose no matter how tight you make those bolts.

"first off" you should watch your choice of words you rude f*ck.....i started with something small and simple instead of jumping to conclusion to uncommon problems. I'm pretty sure I have plenty of knowledge to help somebody on here as I've been doing that for a few years now. And maybe you should've posted something trying to help this guy out instead of trying to flame me.

·
Master of the Electron
14,516 Posts
Chill, dog... I'm hoping it was just a bad choice of words on monty's part; but I felt the hairs go up on the back of my neck when I read it too.

Monty, welcome to the forum, but how bout using words/phrases that are a bit less antagonistic? It's a much better way to make friends and influence people; not to mention first impressions.

·
2,679 Posts
I hope so to :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2018 Raptor 700's rear brake caliper is doing the same thing, it works fine when braking but the loose rattling sound while not using the rear brake is annoying. Maybe someone who has fixed this problem on their Raptor or Wolverine could help me solve it. Where do I get the 2 replacement rubber boots or bushings for the caliper sliders, and how do I go about putting new ones on? If I order them, what is their official part name or designation? Thanks.
Shane

1 - 9 of 9 Posts