Raptor Forum banner

101 - 120 of 146 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I have not heard of any such issues, but an overzealous grinder could remove too much material. There is also the option of grinding on the arms as opposed to the shock body but again one must be very careful about how much and where it material is removed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm Santiago from Argentina...

Sorry for my bad english, I hope you understand...

I have a 660 2004, the other day i buy the YFZ shocks to upgrade the suspension...
From a 2005 YFZ, almost unused for a long time...

I have no problem whit the installation, but I feel like that are very hard ...
Fully opened and the compression and extension, but still hard in comparison with the originals...

may be that they do need a repair service? change the oil and gas???

thank you very much!

Saludos para todos from Argentina!!

Santiago

·
Registered
74 Posts
First thing I see that will help is that the threaded rings on top of both shocks are usually towards the top of the shock yours are tightened by about 8 turns. that would be a good start to adjusting them to be softer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Blew out my stock 01 rear shock last weekend on the terrain part.... Can someone go into detail about why a yzf shock wont bolt to a raptor?? I've looked at em online and they look similar. I would be willing to try and make it fit somehow if I could.

·
Super Moderator
17,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Blew out my stock 01 rear shock last weekend on the terrain part.... Can someone go into detail about why a yzf shock wont bolt to a raptor?? I've looked at em online and they look similar. I would be willing to try and make it fit somehow if I could.
The yzf is a dirt bike, I assume you mean the YFZ450 made from 2004-2009

The first post of this thread explicitly shows how to make the front shocks of the YFZ450 work on the 660R.

The rear shock will not bolt up because the bottom mount is of the opposite type.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
The yzf is a dirt bike, I assume you mean the YFZ450 made from 2004-2009

The first post of this thread explicitly shows how to make the front shocks of the YFZ450 work on the 660R.

The rear shock will not bolt up because the bottom mount is of the opposite type.
Correct, it is a fork instead of an eye.............

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
yfz shocks on 2plus 1 arms work?

i have stock a arms and want to go to the full-flight 2 plus 1 arms but i dont want to spend on new shocks will the yfz 450 2004 shocks work on these arms ? does any one have a set up like this

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
good job

nice post , great job on explaining it all , the pictures helped , installed mine by following your steps and it worked out nice, gracias from BAJA CAL MEXICO

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
the shocks fit like the 450's, fronts that is all that will fit off the 700. if i remember right

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
the shocks fit like the 450's, fronts that is all that will fit off the 700. if i remember right
700 rear will fit as well, but a 450 rear will not work because it's longer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Read this first before purchasing or posting about these shocks, most of your quesitons have been answered here or in the following replies.

THE OEM YFZ REAR SHOCK WILL NOT WORK ON THE 660 RAPTOR, the linkages are opposites.

The 04 on up front shocks are all the same physical size and will all bolt up using one of the discussed methods. The 09 YFZ450R shocks are long travel and will not work with the 660's standard travel front end. If you have a long travel a-arms setup then they will bolt up.

Installing OEM YFZ front shocks are a very common suspension upgrade for other Yamaha sport quads. Here is a little info on them for those in need of answers.

Price:
Prices can range from 100 dollars to 600 dollars for a set of OEM front YFZ 450 atv shocks. Dealers, quad shops, and salvage yards typically sell them for 300-600 dollars, ebay price is usually in the 175-250 range and personal classified ads are the cheapest bet at 100-200 bucks. However buying from another individual online is more risky than the other two options so be cautious with who you trust to send your money to. The best forums to try are those devoted solely to the yfz450, but most other forums with a significant sport quad membership will have a set or more for sale as well.

The change in ride height will depend on quite a few factors so not all bikes will be have the same way. Heavier riders and bikes with extended a arms will find the front end will sit lower than others. Preload is the major contributor to ride height, when you reduce preload down all of the way you will be at your lowest possible ride height but you will not have as much absorbtion when you try to land a jump. If you crank your preload way up to the top the bike will sit taller than it did with the stock shocks but you will have a much larger buffer against bottoming out. The settings you choose for this and other adjustments will depend on your bike, your riding type, your riding style, your weight, and eventually your personal preference as well. The best thing to do here is experiment.

One possible method of installation:

Everyone knows throwing a set of YFZ450 front shocks on the Raptor is the ultimate suspension mod for those that don't want to break the bank. I found a used set of 04 front shocks from [url]www.yfzcentral.com[/url] for $120 shipped, I was sold. They arrived within 4 days. Thanks yfz guy whose forum name I forgot! Removing the stock shocks was simple enough, jack up the front end and loosen the bolts. As for installing the 450 shocks, there’s a little bit of modding to be done. First thing you need to do is grind a tiny bit off the top brackets so they fit properly without any rubbing.

Since the yfz shocks are a little longer then the stock you have to cut out a small square in the a-arms to allow the 450 shocks to fit. I took a drill and bored my way through the center upping the bit size each time making the hole big enough for me to fit a grinder in there to square off the hole. This was relatively simple but you may run into problems without the proper tools.

Most installs I’ve seen grind off a bit of the a-arm bracket to allow the shock to fit, I decided to grind off the shock instead leaving the bracket with more metal/strength. You can also grind off some of the bottom part of the shock to avoid having to drill through the a-arms as well.

After that they should bolt up just fine and be ready to ride! There's no doubt about it these shocks work awesome for the raptor and make the ride much better whether you're racing mx or riding the trails.
I give the YFZ450 front shocks a 4...out of 5 :)

Thanks to Doubt for his excellent write up. Please feel free to post any other info or questions you have here in this thread.
If I upgrade my stock A arms, to +2 A arms do I still need to cut into them to make the YFZ 450 shocks fit?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Not on the Lone Starr racing set I bought.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not on the Lone Starr racing set I bought.
I was thinkin of gettin a set of "Full Flight +2 (DOM) A arms" . I dont got a ton of $$$$ and I dont race just ride for fun. I was just wondering if the shocks would just mount right up without a MOD to the A arm its self.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Not sure. Best bet would be to just wait until you order the a arms and when they get there, mock everything up and if it works without altering anything, then you are good, and if not, then all you have to do is shave the bottom mount. It's not too difficult, I did mine in about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well I looked at some images of the full flights and the ones I saw have very similar lower shock mounting tabs to my LSR set. I would say you have a good chance of the lower arm to shock moutning up with no needed modifcation. Your frame mounts for the top of the shocks will still need modifaction if you have not already done so.

101 - 120 of 146 Posts