Raptor Forum banner

121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well I looked at some images of the full flights and the ones I saw have very similar lower shock mounting tabs to my LSR set. I would say you have a good chance of the lower arm to shock moutning up with no needed modifcation. Your frame mounts for the top of the shocks will still need modifaction if you have not already done so.
Ok thanks for the info!

·
Registered
881 Posts
So the 2004-2008 yfz450 shocks are standard travel. And the 2009-2012 yfz450 are long travel shocks?
Get your self some kfx450 shocks. Save your self from cutting into your a arms. With the kfx450 shocks all u have to do is cut a little off the top shock mount. This is what I got and I love them.

They are the same length eye to eye as the yfz450 shocks.

Kfx shocks in the middle. Look at the bottom eyelet notice the difference?

With them on my bike.

And this is what they looked like when I got them from jogaca

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Get your self some kfx450 shocks. Save your self from cutting into your a arms. With the kfx450 shocks all u have to do is cut a little off the top shock mount. This is what I got and I love them.

They are the same length eye to eye as the yfz450 shocks.

Kfx shocks in the middle. Look at the bottom eyelet notice the difference?

With them on my bike.

And this is what they looked like when I got them from jogaca

But thats from a cowasuckeeeee...........

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Ha ha, yes even though their off a "cowaasuckee" (sorry Greg, someone said it first) they are (YFZ's, KFX's & Raptor piggybacks) all made by the same company, KYB, a great shock company thats been around a long time and not only make good adjustable atv shocks, but for all make's of motor vehicles, race cars, trucks, motorcycles ect.. And Parkers right, they don't require the grinding on the lower mount of stock arms the the yfz/Raptors do, KYB for some reason chose to use less material in that lower mount on the shock itself, also they keep your ride height the same as your pogos do, it's all in the personal preference of the rider, the YFZ's do lower the front and a lot of guys like the handeling difference that make's, and a lot of guys like the ride height to stay the same..

·
Super Moderator
17,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #128 (Edited)
I've not played with the kfx450, but I do recall the kfx400, the honda 450's and 400's, and the suzuki 400's used a 16.5" shock. Honda/zuki/kawi typically use a skinnier eyelet, if you want to put these on make sure you use the right width of spacer to keep from bending the shock mount tabs in or out and enough on each side to line the shock up vertically. I'm not sure how the spacers would affect the eyelet inserts.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If I grind the a-arm to make it fit will it weaken it? Or should I grind a little bit away from the bottom shock by the bushing and where the screw goes? It wouldn't weaken it because it would be sitting on the a-arm? What should I do?

·
Super Moderator
17,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
I'd cut the hole out of the bottom and cut the backside out of the tab (as opposed to cutting the shock itself). And no I wouldn't worry about weakening the arm as long as you're not taking out any more material than you have to.

·
Super Moderator
17,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
but i have 09 yfz shocks so i would HAVE to get long travel a arms for the shocks to fit on my bike?

The YFZ450R shocks are too long for standard travel 660 a-arms regardless of whether they are factory a-arms or aftermarket a-arms. If they are standard travel the shocks will be too long.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The YFZ450R shocks are too long for standard travel 660 a-arms regardless of whether they are factory a-arms or aftermarket a-arms. If they are standard travel the shocks will be too long.
alright thanks, im looking at a arms but im mostly finding +3 long travel so gonna keep searching, and for the installation of the shocks would i have to follow the same steps shown at the beggining of this thread?

·
Super Moderator
17,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
This thread is for installation of YFZ450 shocks into Raptor 660 stock a-arms. You have 2009+ YFZ450R shocks and you will not be using stock a-arms on the 660 so no, this thread is not relevant to your situation and you will not need to follow it should you decide to install the YFZR shocks on the 660 with long travel a-arms. You will likely have plenty of room around the bottom mount to bolt them up without clearance issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This thread is for installation of YFZ450 shocks into Raptor 660 stock a-arms. You have 2009+ YFZ450R shocks and you will not be using stock a-arms on the 660 so no, this thread is not relevant to your situation and you will not need to follow it should you decide to install the YFZR shocks on the 660 with long travel a-arms. You will likely have plenty of room around the bottom mount to bolt them up without clearance issues.
alright thanks for the help, btw just talked with jogaca he said they will work fine with the Long travel a arms " the only fabing you will need to do once you get aftermarket arms, will be grind back the upper shock mount tabs just a little bit so except the bigger bodied yfzr shocks"

04 660R
Trinity stage IV exhaust with dual headers - K&N filter + intake

09 YFZ450R
CP Piston - Hot Cams - Power Commander 5 - Trinity Stage IV Full exhaust - DnD nerf bars - Protaper handle bar - Velocity Intake + filter

·
Registered
27 Posts
I currently have +2 a arms and Elka shocks on my raptor 660, would it be possible to mount the Elka shocks on a 06 YFZ, maybe with some slightods to the Yfz a arms or would I have to get a new set f a arms?

·
Super Moderator
17,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Depends on the travel, and of course the valving and spring rates would be off as the yfz uses different geometry and is lighter. But if the shocks you're using now on the yfz are roughly the same length (within 1/2-1" or so) then yes you can mount the elkas on the yfz.

121 - 140 of 146 Posts