Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went riding today (in dead of winter), and it was 20 degrees when I pulled the quad off the trailer. I tried to start it but it wouldn't go, starter seemed to be turning slower, but still fast enough to start. I spent probably 5 min or so cranking, rest few secs, crank again before it finally started. Even then it would not idle by itself. I had to hold the gas, and it felt like it was missing. My buddies new quadracer started with no problems, and idled no prob either. I thought fuel injection was not supposed to have problems like this?

·
Registered
779 Posts
You might give these a try, lower octane fuel, 87 and a lighter weight oil. They might help out. If you keep your bike in the garage, where it's a bit warmer, try running your bike for a bit before you go out. It might start better once you get to where you are going in the colder air.

MK

·
Registered
594 Posts
check the type of oil u have....also...batterys suck in weather like that. if its out side in those temps i suggest taking the battery out and keeping it inside on a trickle charger... That way each time u start it up to have max battery power

·
Registered
767 Posts
I thought you said it was really cold? 20F degrees is tropical, we were out two weeks ago and it was -18F. That was about the first time I noticed mine being a bit of a pig to start, but I ride everyday in the temps you're describing without any issues? Definatley a lighter weight oil will help, maybe fire a new plug in too.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I knew someone would say 20 wasn't cold ;) (is was 20 F)

Normally it is kept in the garage, but we loaded them on the trailer the night before, so they had to sit out all night.

I am running yamalube 20w-40 (I believe that was the weight), what do you recommend?

I probably have close to 30 hrs on the bike now, and forgot that I have to check the gap on the plug still. Thanks for the plug reminder.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I went with Yamalube 10w30, but I'm going to try Amsoil 0w40 on the next change.

·
Registered
815 Posts
mine does the same thing.... Mine will start and run for about 5 to 8 seconds and then die.... so i start it back up and it will run about 10 seconds then die... then usually the third or fourth time i start it, it will run and i let it warm up for about 5 minutes then go riding....
But first thing every morning when i start it... it has problems starting...

So you all think i just need to try different oil? i am running 20w-40 yamalube.

Thanks Plattner

·
Registered
109 Posts
pfff try starting the thing in -30 C n ride in that weather ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've noticed that after -20 mines a pig to start even with thinner oil.Try giving a little throttle while you cranking.Seems to help out a little.At -35 it pretty much won't start,just as well,the oil is as thick as tar.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Tiggyboot hit the nail on the head. To help with cold starts run 87 octane. In cold weather the higher octanes do not like to ignite, especially in a lower compression engines.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.