Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be replacing my rear rotor. Got the cotter pin and castle nut off. Question is, should the hub just slide off? If so, I'm going to need to get some mapp gas or something to heat it up. It's pretty frozen up on there.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
put some WD40 or Kroil on it and go ride for the day. It should come right off then.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to spray some wd-40 on it tonight and get to it tomorrow to see what it does. Riding it right now isn't an option.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, tried the wd-40, lots of heat, and a puller. Nothing worked to get the hub off. Is there any other tricks to get this damn thing off? I guess I can try to heat it up till it's red hot, but I'm sort of worried about axle integrity. I'm thinking about getting my cut off wheel out and cut it out. If I go that route, I'm thinking about getting the g-force extended hubs. So, thoughts, opinions??

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
My one side was one there real good, I soaked it down with Liquid Wrench for a day, and then I just went around the horn with a rubber mallet, knocking it real lightly until it worked it's way loose. Might not be the best way, but it didn't ruin any splines or anything and it came off. I put the G-Force Extended Hubs on there and I really like them.

·
Registered
243 Posts
i had the same problem with my hub, it was coroded on there, i just used a torch on high heat and heated all the way around for a good couple minutes and then just smacked it with a mallet all the way around and it just barely budged, was a pain but it did come off in the end....lotttttts of heat some patience and the right amount of smashng should get it off

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I just got it off. Bad thing is, I need a new axle now. I had to use a slide hammer, heat, and a hammer. The end of the axle where the cotter pin goes collapsed. So where is a good place for axles? I want a +2 that can handle jumping.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Take pictures of it, I'm curious as to what you mean. You should be able to get a nice axle at Rocky Mountain ATV.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't have the ability to post pictures on here right now. The threaded end where the castle nut goes (that keeps the hub on) mushroomed. All four cotter pin holes are half closed now, and the nut will not thread on. Is the g-force axle a good axle? It's not to expensive and looks like would hold up to what I would put it through.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I've heard good things about the G Force axle. I know a lot of people that run it with no issues. I'd go for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts