Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The UK's fastest Raptor
1,188 Posts
you don't have to press them. just find a bit of pipe that fits the outer race of the bearing but not tight in the housing. and hit this with a hammer to knock the bearings in. you won't harm the bearing as long as you only hit the outer race. You have to be careful that the bearing is going in square so hit the pipe in a 12, 6, 9, 3 patern. Or place a bit of steel over the pipe so you can hit it in the middle.

you'll need something like the bit of pipe mentioned above if you are going to use a press. If you haven't got a press you can get away with a drill press/pillar drill but it's not ideal for the drill. or you can use a large G cramp or similar.

hope that makes sense :)

Ez

·
Registered
319 Posts
the hardest part i found when i done mine was getting the old ones out in the first place, the new bearings went in without to much fuss at all:D

·
Registered
60 Posts
you don't have to press them. just find a bit of pipe that fits the outer race of the bearing but not tight in the housing. and hit this with a hammer to knock the bearings in. you won't harm the bearing as long as you only hit the outer race. You have to be careful that the bearing is going in square so hit the pipe in a 12, 6, 9, 3 patern. Or place a bit of steel over the pipe so you can hit it in the middle.

you'll need something like the bit of pipe mentioned above if you are going to use a press. If you haven't got a press you can get away with a drill press/pillar drill but it's not ideal for the drill. or you can use a large G cramp or similar.

hope that makes sense :)

Ez
I used one of the old bearings to hit the new ones into place. I just used a grinding wheel and reduced the size a little of the old bearing.

·
Registered
521 Posts
i always toss my bearings in the freezer for a bit before putting them in, let them shrink down a tiny bit to go in easier

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
i hate to be a pian in the a$$. but does anyone have a step by step guide that i can go by for these bearing.
It's pretty straightforward... Just strip down the axle basically, starting from the right side (sitting on bike). Remove the wheel, hub, big axle nut, caliper, disk (hit it with a sand hammer, it just slides out once the nut is off), chain off the sprocket and then you hit the end of the axle. Make sure you use something to prevent damage to the end of the axle. The service manual recommends a socket.

Once it's out, it's only a matter of removing the old ones and putting the new ones in... then doing everything you just did in reverse.

I make it sound easy, but it's still a PITA to do, especially if they haven't been done in a while. It took me like 10 hours to do my first because everything was stuck... Had to use a lot of heat on pretty much all the parts.

Just changed them this weekend with a friend, took us ~2 hours or so... but we had all the tools at hand and we knew where we were going... and everything was pretty loose since they weren't even a year old.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts