Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the axle bearings and seals on my 660. I haved been reading the SM and notice something I think does not sound right. I am using my stock axle, I'm cheap. The SM says to torque the inner nut to 40 ft lb and hold it while tightening to the outer nut to 140 ft lbs. Once torqued, draw a line on both nuts and "back tighten" the inner nut to 170 ft lbs. The picture in the SM shows the inner nut line going towards the bearing. That looks to me like the inner nut now is applying 170 ft lbs of pre load to the bearing(s). Shouldn't the inner nut be torqued against the outer nut? I'm just sayin' . Any body with a better way to do this with stock parts?

Thanks ???

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I am replacing the axle bearings and seals on my 660. I haved been reading the SM and notice something I think does not sound right. I am using my stock axle, I'm cheap. The SM says to torque the inner nut to 40 ft lb and hold it while tightening to the outer nut to 140 ft lbs. Once torqued, draw a line on both nuts and "back tighten" the inner nut to 170 ft lbs. The picture in the SM shows the inner nut line going towards the bearing. That looks to me like the inner nut now is applying 170 ft lbs of pre load to the bearing(s). Shouldn't the inner nut be torqued against the outer nut? I'm just sayin' . Any body with a better way to do this with stock parts?

Thanks ???
The SM sucks. What you are doing is tightining nut 1 to 40. then hold 1 in position while tightening 2 against 1 to 140. THEN hold 2 while torqueing 1 to 170 against 2 at the distance spected by your mark. This is effectively loosening 1 off of bearing. Get it?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Bump. I am curious about this also. My rear nuts seemed to have loosened or something because my brake bracket and disc were wobbly.
Can I tighten nut 1 too much where it would pull the axle further to the right of my machine and not be centered?

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
whats it mean if those nuts came undun will your riding can i just tork them down and be good and and how do you tork them if you can't get a socket on it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davidson-Tool-36mm-Rear-Axle-Wrench-FLH-Models-/350832042646

Probably not the right size, but a wrench like this.

My method is a little less exacting.
Tighten nut up to sprocket hub until the rear break no longer holds and axle turns.
Tighten outer nut up to inner nut.
Put wrench on inner nut and hit with hammer a couple times.
Set screws.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,765 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davidson-Tool-36mm-Rear-Axle-Wrench-FLH-Models-/350832042646

Probably not the right size, but a wrench like this.

My method is a little less exacting.
Tighten nut up to sprocket hub until the rear break no longer holds and axle turns.
Tighten outer nut up to inner nut.
Put wrench on inner nut and hit with hammer a couple times.
Set screws.
I'm confused with "Tighten nut until rear brake no longer holds".
Can you explain for us dummies?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts