Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am getting ready to order some new pads for the rear brakes. What is a good pad to go with? and what is the difference between the sintered metal and the carbon? thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would also like to know. Also, is there really that big of a difference between say EBC and Galfer? Anyone out there with good knowledge on brakes?

·
2008 SMX Series Champion HO
2,679 Posts
I have used EBC's twice since the stockers ran out, in my opinion and the local yamaha dealer, EBC's don't lock up well and wear very quickly, nothing beats the stockers, I have them now all around and they run great.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
devildog_0431 said:
I have used EBC's twice since the stockers ran out, in my opinion and the local yamaha dealer, EBC's don't lock up well and wear very quickly, nothing beats the stockers, I have them now all around and they run great.
I agree the stockers were better than the EBC's. Don't know about Galfer's.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've been using the sintered pads and they hold up good in mud and dirt, but I don't think they stop as good. It's like I have to really push hard on the brake pedal to skid. The EBC pads make this wierd squeel or shudder when wet :3question: - on my quad anyway. I recently used the sintered pads from RMATV and they don't squeek, but still don't have the stopping power.

Tomorrow I'm going to get stockers because they seemed to last pretty good when I had them.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Man ive had nothing but Awesome Perfoamnce from my EBC pads....installed in March and still have well over 50% life left

·
Registered
138 Posts
carbon (I think they're also referred to as 'organic') brakes are supposed to grab harder for a better lock up - in totally dry conditions
mostly used by racers on tracks, and usually last just a few races

sintered brakes are supposed to be some kind of metal compound for durability and have something in them to heat the rotor to make water evaporate off of it
(that's probably where most of the squealing comes from)
better for trail riders, all condition use and longer lasting

aftermarket pads will probably perform the way they're supposed to when paired up with the right rotors (better clean-out, different cooling properties, yudda yadda) but if you're keeping the stock rotors, might as well get the pads that were designed for them

also if you don't feel like your braking feels the same (even with new pads), it might be time to change out the fluid

·
Registered
40 Posts
i used ebc heavy duty pads(made for mud and stopping fat people like me)i have no problem locking up the tires.they are also wearing great i have had them for about 8 months.oh yeah and buy a block off for the e-brake they are junk and will kill your pads.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used the EBC "race" series pads on the front of my old 660 Raptor. I couldn't believe the difference!!!! With the OEM pads on that bike the front tires would only lock up under about 10 MPH. With the EBC I could lock them up at any speed. Haven't had to change the pads on the 700 yet, but when I do I will be getting a set of these again.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I only got 25 hours of seat time on my stock rear brakes and they were tossed in the trash, worn out!

Got EBC Extremes on now, see where these take me!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts