Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend just bought a 2004 660 and the only thing I can find wrong with it is one of the two chain adjusting bolts on the swing arm is broke off. I drilled it out with a carbide bit and tried to use a easy out on it and ended up breaking it after several tries. I tried soaking it and heating it and it wouldn't budge at all.

Do you guys know if I can get to it with vise grips from the inside if I take the carrier apart or can I just drill and tap another bolt hole next to the broke one or just go larger on the same hole.

The chain is still a little loose with the carrier pulled all the way back but I think he will be ok for the rest of the season. I just want to get prepared for the up coming fix. Hopefully this won't require a new swing arm.

·
Registered
85 Posts
drill and tap the hole and put in a bigger bolt just done it myself ive only done one side but plan on doing the otherside soon if i dont sell my raptor first

hope this helps

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
My friend just bought a 2004 660 and the only thing I can find wrong with it is one of the two chain adjusting bolts on the swing arm is broke off. I drilled it out with a carbide bit and tried to use a easy out on it and ended up breaking it after several tries. I tried soaking it and heating it and it wouldn't budge at all.

Do you guys know if I can get to it with vise grips from the inside if I take the carrier apart or can I just drill and tap another bolt hole next to the broke one or just go larger on the same hole.

The chain is still a little loose with the carrier pulled all the way back but I think he will be ok for the rest of the season. I just want to get prepared for the up coming fix. Hopefully this won't require a new swing arm.
I would suggest you change the chain if it is worn out, a slashed base from a broken chain is much more expensive then a new chain and sprockets.......
Try welding the broken bolt up and then weld a nut to it, the heat when welding it gets into the bolt, breaks up the rust, when it cools off it will come out easier.............

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would suggest you change the chain if it is worn out, a slashed base from a broken chain is much more expensive then a new chain and sprockets.......
Try welding the broken bolt up and then weld a nut to it, the heat when welding it gets into the bolt, breaks up the rust, when it cools off it will come out easier.............
I already drilled the bolt out while trying to use an extractor...I guess the chain isn't as loose as I thought. I just measured the slack and it has just over and inch of travel. I may put some more heat on it over the next few days and try another bolt extractor.

·
Registered
56 Posts
FWIW,

I have read (never tried), but they say you can use pickling (sp?) solution on alum parts with ferrous metal bolts to remove them. The pickling solution eats away the metal threads, but does not do anything to the alum.

Might want to research this before you do so. It would require you to submerge the rear carrier in the pickling solution. Not sure it's worth it or not.
Just an idea. I am not sure it even works...

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I would have though the acid would affect the aluminum before it would the steel.

This is why I tell people to take the adjuster bolts clear out and apply antisieze to the threads. Steel bolts in aluminum threads is only a matter of time before they sieze together.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I never heard of it. I had broken a metal bolt in a piece of alum. one time. Was not able to remove it. I searched the net and that is where I read it. The pickling solution only attacks ferrous metals. Not sure why it does not attack the alum. at least this is what I had read on some machinest forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts