Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excessive rear end wobble. I can't quite explain it but my buddies say that when I accelerate fast and at high speeds the rear tires look like they are wobbling.

It seems like since I got my new hole shot HD's and rear wheel spacers I've had this problem but can't say it started then exactly.
Has anyone seen an issue like this before? Is it possible I have too much weight out there now and it just can't handle the extension?

Also, is there suppose to be any slop in the rear hubs after you tighted the nut to the required torque of 90 Nm?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
It's actually 120nm, 85 lb-ft for the OEM castle nuts. There should not be any wobble but if it's 99% stiff it'll be fine.

Make sure your tires aren't way out of balance, either take them to a shop or try them on another bike. Remove some variables, try the tires by themselves, the spacers with tires/wheels that worked well, try without either of the new upgrades to see if it's the bike itself. Check the chain slack and the alignment of the rear bearing carrier in the swingarm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info! I will try to eliminate the variables one by one.

If the tires are out of balance, then what? Can you balance an atv wheel?

Do either of you two use spacers...what are you thoughts on them...do they really increase the stability that much? Can I keep the 1.5" spacers on the front if I take the 3" of the back? Just curious how it would handle and if it did handle different....would a beginner like myself, even be able to notice a difference?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Personally never ran any spacers, I did have +2 arms and a standard axle. It rode very stable but in the whoops at higher speed the rear would jump side to side, I was told by a MX guy that was due to the rear being narrower than the front.
Most people will agree that front spacers are a bad idea if you abuse your quad, moving the wheel out from the centerline of the balljoint is hard on the tierods.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I might just take them off all together. I personally never noticed a difference when I got them...maybe because I'm not that experienced....so I might as well just take them off if there is even the slightest chance of ruining something else.

Wanna buy a set of front and rear spacer ;) I'll give ya a good deal!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK...I feel like such a dumb ass. I torqued the castle nuts down to 88 ft-lbs like you said and that made a world of difference. I haven't had a chance to actually try riding it but just the lateral movement perpendicular to the axle is much better...virtually no wobble in the hubs. I feel a little movement in the axle though...I need to buy a 50mm wrench so I can double check that too...looks like according to my manual that there is a special axle nut wrench that's necessary. Guess I will be buying that also.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
I typically use a pipe wrench to tighten the axle nuts. We've also got a huge crescent wrench lying around for similar situations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts