Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone who put the yfz's on the front chnaged out the rear linkage. From what I understand the yfz shocks lower the front end about an 1" and I'm wondering which linkage would even the stance out. Thanx

·
Registered
215 Posts
its different setups between the yfz and the raptor from what ive read.

if you have your sag set up correctly front and rear it should be right anyways.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went with the GT Thunder XC rear linkage after putting the yfz shocks on. It claims to add 1" of travel and lower the rear around an inch. You can call GT Thunder directly or order it from http://www.motosport.com.

Here's the description from their site:
- Additional wheel travel by using improved leverage ratios.
- Plusher ride while still maintaining good bottoming resistance by using improved leverage ratio curves.
- Lower center of gravity.
- Improved stability for better overall handling.

·
Registered
24 Posts
whofarted said:
Do you like the GT thunder linkage?
Yes, I had the same concerns as you about the yfz front shocks and this corrected the issue. I also run 22" rear and 23" front tires so having the lower center of gravity is nice. My raptor sits slightly lower than stock even with these tires in combination with the GT linkage and yfz shocks. The linkage states that it's for XC use with 20" rear tires but I called GT Thunder and they said it will work fine with my tire setup. In addition I was running ITP Holeshot GNCCs, 21" rears, 22" fronts and the seat height was real low. It handled great but I was after a little more ground clearance for the rough stuff so I ordered a set of RAZR II. Sorry to ramble on and on I just wanted to give the full details...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Love my GT Thunder XC !!! :grin_nod:

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just ordered one of the GT Thunder XC links. Does it come with bearings? How long was the install? Any noticable ride improvement?

Frank

·
Registered
24 Posts
frankhkp7 said:
I just ordered one of the GT Thunder XC links. Does it come with bearings? How long was the install? Any noticable ride improvement?

Frank
The bearings are included, the install was less than an hour, and the ride was improved. The one thing I didn't like about the linkage is they didn't put the grease fitting on it like the stock one but I can live with it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Installed the GT Thunder link today. I didn't ride on it yet. Also, I didn't notice much of a difference in seat height or extra shaft on my rear shock. Will advise further once I make sure my ride height and sag are within my spec for my weight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
frankhkp7 said:
Installed the GT Thunder link today. I didn't ride on it yet. Also, I didn't notice much of a difference in seat height or extra shaft on my rear shock. Will advise further once I make sure my ride height and sag are within my spec for my weight.
I didn't notice much of a difference in ride height until it was sitting next to a stock 700 with 20" rears. With 22" rears on mine it was still lower so I know it lowered it for sure. How much? I have no idea.... maybe 3/4" or 1". I didn't break out the measuring tape on the trail.

With 22s you get that smushy feeling in high speed turns and this linkage helped remove some of that for sure.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have been asking everybody on here for the longest time about the GT Thunder linkage and nobody talks about it. What brought this link to me was in Dirtwheels they had Bill Ballance ride a Raptor 700 and had every damn mod you could do ( bolt ons ) but anything you could think of he had. When they asked him what was the best mod for the money He said he would invest in a GT Thunder link.
Also the differ with the one on ebay you could adjust that one but the more you lower it the more travel you lose
The GT Thunder claims that it drops the quad 1 in and gives you a 1-1/2 in travel . The only bad thing I see with the GT Thunder link is it sets 1 in lower then stock and my stock link has big gashes from rocks on it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
xXGlaMiSXx said:
I have been asking everybody on here for the longest time about the GT Thunder linkage and nobody talks about it. What brought this link to me was in Dirtwheels they had Bill Ballance ride a Raptor 700 and had every damn mod you could do ( bolt ons ) but anything you could think of he had. When they asked him what was the best mod for the money He said he would invest in a GT Thunder link.
Also the differ with the one on ebay you could adjust that one but the more you lower it the more travel you lose
The GT Thunder claims that it drops the quad 1 in and gives you a 1-1/2 in travel . The only bad thing I see with the GT Thunder link is it sets 1 in lower then stock and my stock link has big gashes from rocks on it. :thumbsup:
I just got mine installed and just took it for a ride around the yard but I like the feel so far. It lowered the back right at a inch. I havent put my skid plate back on yet but I dont think the link really sits any lower. It is just about 3/4 inch longer than the stock link so it just changes the angle more than anything.

Only think I dont like is that it doesnt have a grease fitting for the back end. The front has the grease fitting built into the bolt so Im going to see about replaceing the back bolt with the one thats in the front so I dont have to take it apart to repack. :thumbsup:

edit: bolt idea wont work they are different sizes :mad:

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
blackraptor said:
Whats the diffrent between this one and the durablue rear lowering kit?
thanks
I think the biggest difference is this is a solid piece that will be just as strong if not stronger than stock.

It has also been tested at its length to help give better handling and suspention.

An adjustable one is going to have alot of different lengths some of which may hurt more than help

I looked at both and was really only thing i could come up with. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.