Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went through all the posts and nothing is really helping me out, so here is my problem.

I got a new spring from Ken for a big guy, his wt is approx 300lbs. I put the spring on and it is still dropping down about 5"s from the grab bar when he sits on it. I have his comp and his rebound set at 2 clicks out from full in and I have the preload set to about 8 inches right now, I think I might be able to have it go down another 2 turns. I have to be missing something here, the bike seems to sag the same even with the new spring. Any ideas other then they just sent me the wrong size spring?

Any other ideas? I doubt he would do a rebuild, but may go for a new shock altogether. Any cheap deals?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Who is the spring manufacturer? Are you certain the spring rate is what it's supposed to be? I would find out how the new spring is supposed to react to the weight of the rider. 300hps is a pretty big dude. Maybe 300lbs is too much for a single shock to support. I'm 245 with gear on and my rear spring isn't enough for proper sag heights either. I'm waiting till late spring to decide on what to do with it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a TCS, I got it from Ken a while ago and just finally had the time to get it on. There has to be a way to get this dialed in somewhat correct, I see huge guys out there riding and even seen some videos of forum members who seem to be around the same size if not bigger.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
I'm 325 and i want to get mine done so it don't sagg anymore.. Not what i want to hear :mad:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I spoke to Ken and TCS and basically I think we got the wrong spring. I am taking it in to TCS next week and I think I may just get a full rebuild. It will be better off and really not that expensive.

·
Registered
779 Posts
That's cool. They can show you how to set it up while you are there too. Please do a follow up with pics on how it is afterwards. I'm sure lots will be interested!

thanks!
MK

·
Registered
187 Posts
let me know how much a respring a revalve goes for 280w/gear here

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the bike back today with the rear revalved. HUGE, HUGE difference, not sagging more then it should, front end finally could use an adjustment, and the bike just feels a whole lot better - It feels like a different bike. I will post some pics later but wanted to get a post in to let you know the guys over there at TCS are great and took the time to adjust the sag and showed me how to set everything up. I am sure pricing varies, but I paid just over $200 for the revalve; I did already have the spring from them which about $100. Figure it will be over $300 for everything. Now I just need to say up some cash to get the front done.

·
Registered
779 Posts
if you get a chance, please post some pics

I'm glad to hear the revalve and spring worked out. Think I'll be doing that at some point soon.

MK

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Bigger guys do need the conversion. A spring only, helps but the valving in the stock suspension is simply not set-up for riders over 200lbs. or so.

·
Registered
91 Posts
im no motor head but i think the stock shock on my 07 is pretty good im a big dude comin in at about 300lbs i even ride with my fiance on the back sometimes i dont dare jump with her on the back but i do with just me. how do you know if you need the new rear shock or not. maybe i have just been lucky so far. i mean it squats a lil bit but still busts wheelies and hill climbs and trails good. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just got back from a long weekend of riding at OW. The bike feels completely different with that rear shock rebuild. It feels good and no sag. We rode basically the same route as we did the last time without the rebuild and the different was night and day. Before the rear would near bottom out just on deep woops, this time it was like they weren't there. Trust me, if your 300 pounds, you need this. I tightened up the front because they actually needed an adjustment after getting the proper settings in the rear. One click from the top and they act like new shocks. I will probably go for a +2 arm and new shocks sooner or later over the stockers, but for now that rear rebuild makes the bike way more rideable.

Again, TCS guys are top notch and I appreciate the time they took to make this right.

·
Registered
779 Posts
can you put some picstures up of the rebuilt shock? I'd love see what it looks like now

thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no problem, will snap a couple this weekend after I pull it out and clean it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Any chance a SE / GYTR shock would get away with just a re-spring?

I'm gonna have to call TCS. I bottomed the rear a couple times in Glamis and it hurt!

Shawn

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Probably if you get the right spring. I had tried the spring route prior to the rebuild and it was better but still was sagging a bit more then it should. The bike is alot taller and barely drops down when I get on it now, no more slant - it would feel like you were riding a chopper before with the arms up to the bars.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I got just the spring alone and it is just as Frign explained, still alot of sag but the ride did improve. IMO not worth the $$$ to just do the spring, I would like to send mine out for a revalve.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Diddly said:
I got just the spring alone and it is just as Frign explained, still alot of sag but the ride did improve. IMO not worth the $$$ to just do the spring, I would like to send mine out for a revalve.
Good to know. I figured since it was triple adjustable it would adjust to whatever spec but I can see where re-valving would 're-center' the adjustments.

post re-valve you can still adjust it, right?

Shawn

·
Registered
13,279 Posts
I got mine done over at a place in ontario california (forgot the name) they did a revalve and a new spring set to my riding weight (280) and style of riding (desert and dunes) for just under 300. It was worth every penny but I only got to ride it for an hour before my crash. I'll have a full report once the doc says I can get back on the quad.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts