Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really sure what happened here but heres the pictures...

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
more...

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i apologize for the subpar pictures. it doesnt look like the shock actually broke but like it came unscrewed? i have zero shock experience so i have no clue how these are assembled. could this have something to do with the rear link being flipped? i was jumping when this happened. we had been drag racing all day and doing some barrel racing. i was on the way back to the house to get everyone a beer and hit a small jump (not even 3 ft of air) and the seat donkey punched my ass and i was like wtf!?!?!?! noticed the seat height was really low and i knew something was wrong :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Oh snap! No pun intended...that'll buff out...

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks cdg :lol:
anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats what i thought too but i have no clue how they are put together or if this is a common failure? it looks like the piston came unscrewed fromthe lower mount? is that even possible or did it break?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Looks like your ass may be hurting:lol: I never knew they threaded in like that. Did it leak a bunch of oil out. I have no idea how a rear shock is assembled nor do I know what happened aside form the obvious:D I am just curious on what caused this to. Would suck if a front shock did this.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
thanks cdg :lol:
anyone have any ideas?
If you would have wrapped the bottom of the shock with one of those Monster Energy stickers I sent you, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now...stylish and adhesive. "My feet are strong Joe Rogan."

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like your ass may be hurting:lol: I never knew they threaded in like that. Did it leak a bunch of oil out. I have no idea how a rear shock is assembled nor do I know what happened aside form the obvious:D I am just curious on what caused this to. Would suck if a front shock did this.
i didnt know they threaded like that either. any shock guys wanna jump in on this? i would like to know what caused this as well. i hope it isnt related to the link flip. yeah i could only imagine how bad it would suck if a front shock decided to do this

If you would have wrapped the bottom of the shock with one of those Monster Energy stickers I sent you, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now...stylish and adhesive. "My feet are strong Joe Rogan."
:lol: i hate you

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dont mean to get off subject but what tires you do you have on the back? look like they will get the job done. i need new ones thanks
Yeah they're mudlite sp's. Awesome tires man.

So I threaded the shock back into the lower mount and it snugged down fine. Is that all that happened here or is there another problem? I don't see how it could unthread itself. Seems to simple and rare?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I'm lost I seen a 450 at the rally blow a shock like that. Dude just took shock off and kept riding I couldn't believe it.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You didn't happen to talk to him more and see what caused the failure did you?

I really thought this thread would get more attention. Kinda surprising ...

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
No I just watched as he rode it I couldn't believe he just kept riding. I figured if he beats on it like that not good since lol.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can't find anything on it either. I thought this woulda happened to someone else on here but I guess I'm a Lone ranger on this one.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I can't find anything on it either. I thought this woulda happened to someone else on here but I guess I'm a Lone ranger on this one.
I would clamp the rod in a vise using soft jaws to protect the shaft, wash everything clean and tighten it securely and use green Loctite on the shaft and shock end...........

1 - 20 of 29 Posts