Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help:
OK.. In a previous post I asked about spacers, now another question....
I got my 2" per side spacers last week (4" total) I put them on for the weekend to try them out before my fronts arrived (1.5" per side)
Here is my question:
with just the rears done the quad wanted to highside at almost every burm I threw it into, when I say highside I mean it wanted to tip forward into the turn, had a hard time handling, and damn near killed me :eek:
I seems as though I turned it into a 3-wheeler.........
will this go away when I put the fronts spacers in, or is this a character oy widening the footprint...I was doing MX type riding, not flat tracking.
I have removed the rears untill fronts arrive.....
Thanks for any input.
John :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
First off you may be pushing your luck riding MX on wheel spacers, but I'll leave that one alone.

What you've experienced is what happens when things aren't properly balanced. Widen the rear only and it'll act slow, slugginsh, and understeer like a hot hatchback. Widen the front only and it'll be twitchier than a supermodel on cocaine. Widen both at the same time and it'll be comfortable and predictable like your favorite chair.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Maddog56, thats what I thought......I am going to leave it stock for now....... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Maddog56 said:
Widen the front only and it'll be twitchier than a supermodel on cocaine.
I can vouch for this, I ran +2 arms with the stock axle last year. In the whoops in 3rd or 4th the rear end wants to pass you. Straight line gets a little unnerving, but it does corner well.

·
Registered
261 Posts
hey maddog, i saw this post and got alittle worried. remember me i just joined a few days ago ?? we talked about cheap mods for cornering. for now, i was going to just put 1.5 " ( total 3" ) on the rear of my 660 . now i dont know what to do after reading this :3question: was this just because he was on a track ? . i'd be trail riding

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bigsled said:
hey maddog, i saw this post and got alittle worried. remember me i just joined a few days ago ?? we talked about cheap mods for cornering. for now, i was going to just put 1.5 " ( total 3" ) on the rear of my 660 . now i dont know what to do after reading this :3question: was this just because he was on a track ? . i'd be trail riding
Hey Bigsled......It was sh$tty in the woods as well, did not steer worth a crap, you have to lean over the front bars and hang into the corner.......I put it back to stock and it handles great again....... I will be doing the front and rear at the same time next week, I will let you know.
John

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
bigsled said:
The rear is somewhere between 3/4 and 1.5 inches skinnier than the rear depending on how it's measured and who's doing the measuring. A wider rear will reduce the bike's tendency to respond to a turn of the handlebars. I've tried it with an extended axle and stock front end and it pushes quite noticeably. But that shouldn't stop you from trying it out on your own if you want to, just don't do it right before a big ride.

·
Registered
885 Posts
bigsled said:
For trail riding I never really had a problem when I was running spacers on stock front. I would definitely try it. Worse case scenario, if you don't like them, take them off until you can widen the front also. It's worth the try.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Mad Dog Beyond Thunderdome said:
bigsled said:
The rear is somewhere between 3/4 and 1.5 inches skinnier than the rear depending on how it's measured and who's doing the measuring. A wider rear will reduce the bike's tendency to respond to a turn of the handlebars. I've tried it with an extended axle and stock front end and it pushes quite noticeably. But that shouldn't stop you from trying it out on your own if you want to, just don't do it right before a big ride.

you mean the rear is about a inch skinnier then the " front " ?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
bigsled said:
Mad Dog Beyond Thunderdome said:
bigsled said:

you mean the rear is about a inch skinnier then the " front " ?
:lol:

Yes, brainfart typo. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts