Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bent my rear sprocket hub and sprocket a while back riding and am getting ready to put my new one on and want to make sure of something before i start...........

I was told that to remove it you just use something like a rubber mallet and give it a good whack or two and it comes off. There arent any bolts are anything that needs to be loosened. And to install the new one it is the same process. Before I start I just wanna double check that that is the way to do it and I dont need to loosen anything or anything like that. I know obviously to take the chain off ect but wanna make sure there is nothing else.

Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Just need to loosen the 2 set screws on the axle nut
and if you haven't drove through too much water it should just slide out
take the sprocket off before you take it all apart those they are torqued to 52ft-lbs
the axle nuts are torqued to 145 ft-lbs
and the axle nut is torqued to 175ft-lbs
other than maybe changing the O rings in there it's pretty cut and dry
you may need to use a block of wood and a heavy hammer
you can try a rubber mallet but may need a little more persuasion

good luck

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hippy said:
Just need to loosen the 2 set screws on the axle nut
and if you haven't drove through too much water it should just slide out
take the sprocket off before you take it all apart those they are torqued to 52ft-lbs
the axle nuts are torqued to 145 ft-lbs
and the axle nut is torqued to 175ft-lbs
other than maybe changing the O rings in there it's pretty cut and dry
you may need to use a block of wood and a heavy hammer
you can try a rubber mallet but may need a little more persuasion

good luck
Sounds cool, one quick question though.....

which ones are the 2 set screws on the axle nut? Ive never taken apart anything on a swingarm so Im definatly a newbie at that. Got a pic by any chance?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hippy said:
yeah the set screws are on the axle nut
no pictures sorry
they are small but they are there
2 of them ;)
I see what your talking about. The axle nut is that large nut on the right side of the rear brake and I do see two little screws hold it in place but my question is why do I need to loosen or remove that to take off the sprocket hub? Its on the other side of the swingarm.

·
Registered
683 Posts
everything must come off to take the sprocket hub off.. if you look real close to the hub where it meets the axle on the left side you'll see a grove ..
there is a half round grove in the axle and a half round grove in the hub .. so when they are together it make a circle.. there is a circlip that prevents the hub from coming off when the axle nut is tightened.

so you'll need to take the wheel hub off the right side
then loosen the set screws then take the axle nut off
take the washer and rotor hub off .. (Master cylinder as well)

then you will need to slid the axle out to the left
Once the axle is off your sprocket will slide off the same side the your rotor hub / axle nut was on

then do the steps in reverse slide the new sprocket hub on .. slide the axle back through the swing arm .. put your rotor / hub back on .. then the washer and finial the nut .. the rest you should figure out.

I guess you through you would hammer your sprocket hub off to wards your left tire ?

it will never come off the way you where thinking..

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hippy said:
everything must come off to take the sprocket hub off.. if you look real close to the hub where it meets the axle on the left side you'll see a grove ..
there is a half round grove in the axle and a half round grove in the hub .. so when they are together it make a circle.. there is a circlip that prevents the hub from coming off when the axle nut is tightened.

Once the axle is off your sprocket will slide off the same side the your rotor hub / axle nut was on

then do the steps in reverse slide the new sprocket hub on .. slide the axle back through the swing arm .. put your rotor / hub back on .. then the washer and finial the nut .. the rest you should figure out.

I guess you through you would hammer your sprocket hub off to wards your left tire ?

Ya, thats how I was thinking to do it by hammering it towards the left tire. I guess its a bigger job then I thought. Thanks for the help, hopefully I will get it no problem but we will see. Thanks

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hippy said:

He's right. it sounds complicated but once you get in there, it's pretty simple. It took about 45 minutes for me to put the first Lone-Star axle on and 20 minutes to do the third. Use a 3 pound sludge hammer and a block of wood to get things moving. The rubber mallet is not going to do much.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Axle came off like butter. It was a breeze. Im still messing with this damn sprocket hub though. I am hitting the damn thing as hard as I possibly can and its at a point now where it wont budge anymore. Any ideas anyone?

I tried a hammer and a piece of wood with no luck. I dont really have a hammer bigger aside from a sludge hammer but no one is willing to hold the axle while I give it a whack. :lol:

So any suggestions?

·
Registered
683 Posts
thats weird
because it should just slide off
when it's all assembled the axle nut keeps pressure against the circlip and thats what keeps it all tight
where did it get stuck ?

how far did it move? before getting stuck ..
I would get it back in it's original position and check for a bur in the spin.. and then oil it up and try to take it off again.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hippy said:
thats weird
because it should just slide off
when it's all assembled the axle nut keeps pressure against the circlip and thats what keeps it all tight
where did it get stuck ?

how far did it move? before getting stuck ..
I would get it back in it's original position and check for a bur in the spin.. and then oil it up and try to take it off again.

First lets make sure I am pulling it off in the right direction. I am taking it off the same side as the brake hub and axle nut came off right?

It came down about a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch and then it just stops. I tried smacking the hell out of it and it wont budge anymore.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This thing is driving me insane!!!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
683 Posts
well if you can see the circlip .
take it off and take the hub off that side..
but yes you where going to the correct side..
but like I just said you can take that circlip off and take it off on the left . ;)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hippy said:
well if you can see the circlip .
take it off and take the hub off that side..
but yes you where going to the correct side..
but like I just said you can take that circlip off and take it off on the left . ;)
Ya I can see the circlip so Ill take that off and slide it off that way. I wonder what its sticking on? Everything else came off like butter. Took all of 20 minutes but that damn hub! :lol:

Ill try your suggestion and hopefully I can finish this dang project. Thanks and ill let you know.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hippy said:
Be carefully not to over stretch that circlip ..
Ok. Any special method or just use Dr. hands?

·
Registered
683 Posts
A little screw driver should do the trick ..
find the little space where they meet and work it around one end .. May have to hold the other end from spinning around ..
May be a little tricky but you'll get it ;)

·
Registered
683 Posts
I think I know why it did not come off to the right ( brake hub side)
there is a O-ring on the splin you should have take that O-ring off .
I bet it jammed up when you started knocking it off ..

there should of been a O-ring on the rotor side as well..
when you pulled the nut off then the washer then you pull the rotor hub off
you sould of seen the O-ring ..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts