Raptor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing the chain and sprockets on a 02 660 for the first time and the owner before me had changed to a front 12 tooth sprocket. I would like to go back to the stock 13 in the front and change to a 42 in the rear but it looks like the clearance to the guard will be tight. I have an aftermarket swimgarm guard on and I think it's an Armadillo, the aluminum looks nearly 1/4" thick and it's just beefy all over. Will the 42 sprocket cause problems with clearance.
Also, the reason I'd like to go back to the 13 front is I think it will be alot easier on the chain since a 12 is a little small. I also don't like the gearing to low because my son is a good rider but he does tend to over rev engines and I think a 12/42 will be less prone to over revving while still maintaining a good gear ratio for duning and desert riding.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
12/40 is real close as the same as 13/42. if its a 12/40 now just try a 13/40 or even a 14/40. 12 front isnt any harder on a chain than a 13.
mike

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I'm doing the chain and sprockets on a 02 660 for the first time and the owner before me had changed to a front 12 tooth sprocket. I would like to go back to the stock 13 in the front and change to a 42 in the rear but it looks like the clearance to the guard will be tight. I have an aftermarket swimgarm guard on and I think it's an Armadillo, the aluminum looks nearly 1/4" thick and it's just beefy all over. Will the 42 sprocket cause problems with clearance.
Also, the reason I'd like to go back to the 13 front is I think it will be alot easier on the chain since a 12 is a little small. I also don't like the gearing to low because my son is a good rider but he does tend to over rev engines and I think a 12/42 will be less prone to over revving while still maintaining a good gear ratio for duning and desert riding.
12 / 42 will rev out faster then stock 13 / 40............

1 - 4 of 4 Posts