Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have to replace my frame on my 700! By the way they are weak!10 mph hit a tree root and bent it!
Anyways how do you get the 4 bolts out??Tried a hand impact no go .The allen wrench is starting to twist.Any ideas? Thanks! Al :help:

·
Registered
494 Posts
You need some sockets with the allen bit installed in it. I replaced my subframe last season, and I remember the bolts were very tight. I used a Snap On Socket with a 3\8" ratchet and pulled the bolts out.

Yes the subframe is weak

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually bent the main part of the frame!Not the sub frame!I have craftsman 3/8" socket allen wrench and cannot budge them!According to the manual they are only on @39 ft#s.I did by the way break a spindle and bend my steering stem in the wreck.Didn't even bend a tierod!And I am still using the .125 douglas wheel.I'm not impressed with the frame at all! After I put it back together the front wheels sat off to one side in relation to the rears.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a little spill on mine back in march also. It just moved the subframe because it landed hard on the rear grab bar. When I went to loosen the 4 bolts I had the same problem couldn't budge the bolts. I took a allen socket and put it on the end of my torque wrench which is long kinda like a cheater and they gave way. Just make sure you hold the socket tight in the bolts with one hand and use your body weight to push down on the wrench don't bounce.... Just smooth preassure..

·
Registered
494 Posts
You did that much damage and your still alive and well? WOW.

I would add a cheater bar to your ratchet or get a longer ratchet\breaker bar.

If the threads of the bolt are in the steel part of the frame, I would take a torch to heat the threads up. Heat makes metal expand. I would not heat up the threads if they are in the alluminum part of the frame. Do not focus the heat on the bolt or you will make matters worse.

·
Registered
623 Posts
damn, i wonder how some of these bikes get how they are.

i rolled mine at 45, broke my wrist and dislocated shoulder. didnt damage main frame, but completely broke rear subframe in half.

then the next night i pulled the subframe bolts out with a 3/8" ratchet and one arm :3question:

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
They are a pain, I guess someone on the assembly line doesnt know how to read a torque wrench. Im puttin mine back together now because of the front part being a wuss and cant take a hit worth a damn. I gusseted mine so both parts of my frame is done that way now. Hey, is the aluminum part of the main frame still good?

·
Registered
43 Posts
My subframe move up and down at these bolt. First I've Thinked they were loose, I took a socket with an allen bolt but they were tight enough to almost break these bolts!!!!! Anyone had this???

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes as far as we can tell the alum "C" part of the frame is fine!That is of course Idecide to cut the thing apart to get the bolts out!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts