Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in glamis two weekends ago and had constant problems getting stuck (first time to ride the dunes). I had on rear paddles, but I think they were to small (dia and width). Is there a best all around size? I am 6-2 and 275 lbs From what I can tell the dia of the tire seemed small, relative to clearance from the rear skid plat to the ground. Any opinions will be appreciated! :3question:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
So what were you using? And on what rim width?

·
Registered
285 Posts
When I play in the sand (not that much around here) on 20" Sand Stars I got sooo tired of plowing sand with my alum skid plate that I took it off. The factory one had ALOT less drag. Taking it off made a good sized difference. If it was straight sand, I'd be tempted to not run one at all. My aluminum one was always slowing me down. On hill climbs, I could look back and see three ruts. Two from my tires and one from my skid plate.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
gobeer net said:
When I play in the sand (not that much around here) on 20" Sand Stars I got sooo tired of plowing sand with my alum skid plate that I took it off. The factory one had ALOT less drag. Taking it off made a good sized difference. If it was straight sand, I'd be tempted to not run one at all. My aluminum one was always slowing me down. On hill climbs, I could look back and see three ruts. Two from my tires and one from my skid plate.
How are you draggin ass so much that you are hitting your skid on a hill climb?

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
What you're experiencing is a lack of floatation. Now without you giving me the specs of your current tires I can't say what's hurting you the most in this area.

What I can say is that the taller the tire the more ground clearance you've got when the paddles are digging down into the sand. And the smaller the rim the more squish you get in the tire and more floatation results. Basically the worst for floatation is a 20" paddle on a 10" rim, while the best would be a 22" paddle on an 8" rim. I've owned both, and it's a world of difference. Currently I'm using the 22" on 8" rims.

If you want the rear end to slip and slide around then a taller tire is going to make that more difficult. If you do end up with a 20" tire make sure it's on an 8" rim. You'll still slide around but it won't sink down as easily.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
If you are running 10" rims, the width seems to make a difference as well. I ran some tires on 8" wide wheels and dug to China, but with 9" wide wheels I had much better luck.

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
russ said:
If you are running 10" rims, the width seems to make a difference as well. I ran some tires on 8" wide wheels and dug to China, but with 9" wide wheels I had much better luck.
Great point. On a 10" diameter rim there's not as much sidewall to squish down and make the tire's contact patch wider. Running a 10x10 wheel will allow the contact patch to grow despite the lack of sidewall. This will make the bike less likely to dig but also reduces the tire's ability to change shape under speed or absorb shock, basically it makes the tire stiffer.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Air pressure makes a huge difference. I run between 3.5 to 4 PSI. Also this time of year the sand at Glamis is very dry and powdery (is that a word ?), and is hard to get traction especially if you are just putting around.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maddog56 said:
What you're experiencing is a lack of floatation. Now without you giving me the specs of your current tires I can't say what's hurting you the most in this area.

What I can say is that the taller the tire the more ground clearance you've got when the paddles are digging down into the sand. And the smaller the rim the more squish you get in the tire and more floatation results. Basically the worst for floatation is a 20" paddle on a 10" rim, while the best would be a 22" paddle on an 8" rim. I've owned both, and it's a world of difference. Currently I'm using the 22" on 8" rims.

If you want the rear end to slip and slide around then a taller tire is going to make that more difficult. If you do end up with a 20" tire make sure it's on an 8" rim. You'll still slide around but it won't sink down as easily.
The tires I was riding were borrowed, and seem to be shaved dirt tires with the paddles reattached (is this common?). I am looking into options for tires now and just wanted to get the best bang for my buck. With your recommendations I think I will be doing the 22" sand stars on a 8" rim. Thanks for the advice!

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
That's a common tire design, resulting in lighter tires and better flexability. They are made by skat-trak.

Molded paddles that large are heavy, I'd suggest skat trak haulers or extreme haulers if you're going with a 22". In fact I'd suggest them regardless of size unless you were on a budget. If you're hooked on v-paddles the sandstars are a good all around choice, but again if the funding allows the skat trak edge paddles are lighter and hook better.

If you're looking to carve up the dunes you may want to put that set of 22" tires on a 9x8 or 9x9 rim to lessen sidewall flex. Otherwise the 8x8 wheel will work best if you're turning more gradually or at a low speed.

·
Registered
285 Posts
DECEPTiON21 said:
gobeer net said:
How are you draggin ass so much that you are hitting your skid on a hill climb?
Loose sand. If i dont hit the hill with enough speed, when I start loosing speed the ass end digs. More gas = digs deeper, less gas = loose speed.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Wow, that's extremely loose sand... Never had that problem, even on cheap a$$ paddles. Guess you learn something new everyday.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.