Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much should it cost to have a licensed yamaha dealer rebuild a 2005 yamaha raptor?

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Motor or everything? It will cost a ton to have a dealer do it. If you did it youself, you could have gaskets, crank, cam, full exhaust, intake, piston, and bearings for about $1,600.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just the motor i bought it for 600 and i think thats what is wrong with it

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
"the motor" is a vast and complex item, to say that "the motor" is the problem doesn't give us enough information to tell you what it should cost to fix it. You may have something as simple as a wiring or carb issue, you may need a new piston and bore/hone, you may need a top end rebuild (piston/cam/valves/springs/seats/etc) or you may need a new transmission. You may need a new clutch, you may simply need to change/drain/add oil.

What are the symptoms of your problem, perhaps we can help you narrow things down.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the spark plug has a spark and it trys to start. My dad says that it sounds like it has low compression but idk. When we put starting in it it makes it back fire.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Is it getting fuel? How/when did it start doing this? I assume it must have sat for a while unridden or something noisy happened internally for compression to be a suspect.

A compression tester costs about 40 bucks, if you can't borrow one from a local auto parts store. Before you hand over a thousand dollars or more to a dealer I'd make sure you test it first.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought it used this year non running and there is no gas getting to the plug. The guy said he was doing jumps and it stalled when he landed and would't start again.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
If there's no gas getting into the head I'd start with the gas line and petcock. And once you've verified the gas is coming out of the tank check out the carb, clean and inspect the float/needlejet/jetneedle/diaphram/etc.

As you can see, there's more than a few parts in here that could be blocking that fuel from getting from the carb side of the petcock to the head.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
too much and they'll probably f something up

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Raptor fixed

I dropped it off at a yamaha dealer and it turns out that the guy i bought it from messed up the timing and droppeed a nut next to the valves and the valves shot it straight thru the cam and it needed a new exaughst. It came to only 243 dollars with new cam and high performance exhaust.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts