Raptor Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,250 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Is that the same one, on the right side of the case assy?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
[/QUOTE]
I’ll take better picture of the sides in the a.m.

what is it I’m looking for or am I filing down?

·
11,250 Posts
The clutch basket has 12 upright fingers that the fibers lock into. As the clutch is operated, the fibers wear grooves in the fingers. If left, they can cause erratic operation.

SO, anytime the clutch is apart it's a good idea to clean up the grooves with a fine file. Do this gently, and just take off just enough to remove the high places.

Check the center hub too. Although the wear may not be as much since there are more contact areas.

·
Registered
902 Posts
He’s talking about the purple circle. Im sure you’ve noticed that the fiber discs have tabs that slide into those slots. Then when your clutch basket spins, those tabs will bang back and forth and over time wear grooves.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Look in the red circles I drew on your pic. You can clearly see at least 6 marks on each arm where the clutch plate has worn.

That surface needs to be smooth. Two things happen here - as your clutch is spinning the plates are riding against the arm where those grooves are and the clutch fibers are locked together in place by springs compressing them into the basket.
When you pull the clutch lever to disengage, the spring tension that clamps that stack together is released. Now the clutch discs must be allowed to freely slide apart out of their locked position. Remember, they ride along that clutch basket arm, so if you have grooves in it from where they sit 99% of the time (locked position, clutch engaged) then they are going to get hung up and cause you some issues.

·
11,250 Posts
He’s talking about the purple circle. Im sure you’ve noticed that the fiber discs have tabs that slide into those slots. Then when your clutch basket spins, those tabs will bang back and forth and over time wear grooves.
Look in the red circles I drew on your pic. You can clearly see at least 6 marks on each arm where the clutch plate has worn.

That surface needs to be smooth. Two things happen here - as your clutch is spinning the plates are riding against the arm where those grooves are and the clutch fibers are locked together in place by springs compressing them into the basket.
When you pull the clutch lever to disengage, the spring tension that clamps that stack together is released. Now the clutch discs must be allowed to freely slide apart out of their locked position. Remember, they ride along that clutch basket arm, so if you have grooves in it from where they sit 99% of the time (locked position, clutch engaged) then they are going to get hung up and cause you some issues.
Yep, that's it. I was just starting to mark the same on your picture. There are 12 finger's, and a total of 24 sides.

Reactions: 38Fitters

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
so ordered used clutch cover $125. Forgot woodruff was toast from last person. So had to order that and washer that goes behind flywheel for some reason went missing. Went ahead and bought a new cam tensioner as well. Literally waiting for something on both sides So next week will continue on.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
And done! Mount and see if it sparks up. Fingers crossed! We had forgot the oring to the cylinder so had to take apart just in case. Friend said it should be fine I said hell nah we’re doing it. So hopefully everything is in place now. Mount and assembly onto the body.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
So put everything together. Turn key. Click click. Starter relay is fried. Screwdriver and we primed with no plug Or gas. Filled it up and cranked, turned on right away. But Forgot to put the little screw on the head so oil shot out so oil is flowing good lol. Turned it off. Found a screw that fit for now. Cranked again and started right up again. Let it idle for a moment and turned it off. Was midnight here so didn’t wanna piss my neighbors off. I’ll leave that for tomorrow

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Forgot to mention have to trim the chain down so couldn’t take for a ride. Any reason the clutch would be super soft. Barely any pressure on the lever. Pressure should be like the clutch on my motorcycle if I’m not mistaken??

·
Registered
902 Posts
I really hope you used a banjo bolt for the oil feed to the head and not a normal bolt.
Yes, you probably need to index the clutch arm on the cover. You can pull the arm off and clock it backward as needed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
sorry yes banjo bolt was used. was talking about on the very top of the head. has a tiny screw but found and fixed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
So far motor cranks right up, revs and idles good.

now the issues we are running into that were currently looking into are.

#1 clutch lever barely has pressure on it, line is connected and i am able to move clutch arm with my hand.

#2 gas is dripping from under the carb, read it could be debris in floats or the orings are bad so running to harbor freight to get oring set, that i read early one of you gurus found useful for this.

#3 the bottom temp sensor on the radiator is disconnected so i believe they wired the fan to stay on all the time, but i dont see the connector anywhere. it came with a temp gauge but never saw the fan come on and it started climbing
getting hotter so turned it off.

#4 im an idiot and melted the plastics lol pipe was touching it, but pipe melted it in away that it almost looks like a cut out. so custom mod babe oh ya!

61 - 80 of 96 Posts