Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rebuilding my clutch tomorrow but before I take it all apart I was wondering what tools I need! I know I have to pick up a torque wrench for sure, any info will help.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
not really any special tools, just make sure u dont overtighten the bolts on the pressure plate because they will strip out or break the bosses.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx for the info Lucky, Every bolt I take off tomorrow will be put back on the bike torqued to spec.

·
Just a 78HP trail bike
2,426 Posts
When you rebuild your clutch take a look at the basket and hub. More than likely it will look like below. Take a file and file it down as square as possible untill its smooth.

What its gonna look like.....

What it should look like after a little careful filing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well like Preddy said and what I've read was that your clutch basket can get these gouges in the basket dogs, which will cause the clutch to feel rougher when shifting, so to remedy the wear your susposed to file down or replace the clutch basket so that you have smooth edges again.

·
Just a 78HP trail bike
2,426 Posts
Dubb is right. The entire clutch system rides on those dog ears. So if their is any groves you'll feel it in the clutch pull. I'd rather spend 20 minutes with a file than drop 200 on a new basket.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
See Pred what I'm worried about is if you remove material from the ears don't the plates get a bit of wiggle room in the basket?

·
Just a 78HP trail bike
2,426 Posts
Your not removing much material at all. You'd seriously be hard pressed to measure it, your taking off such a small amount. If you look at the pictures I removed JUST enough to take off the grooves, even left just a little bit on the bottom. I wouldnt worry about it. I've been using this method for 10+ years with no issues.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Makes sense Preddy, I'll just file it if it needs it. Tanx again my man. Just reading your modd's, man thats a bit of a BEAST your riding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts