Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I been reading a few threads on here about headlight selections. *I have a 2001 raptor 660. *I'm looking to replace my headlight bulbs. I don't know if I should just get new but different brand stock bulb/projectors/hid kit. I purchased in the past new bulbs, but they were not high and low beam. I am trying to get new bulbs real soon for my first weekend riding coming up. What do you guys recommend? Are there any brand bulbs out there that are whiter then the stock yellow bulbs...but have high and low beam capabilities? or is HId kit the way to go and deal with only 1 beam? I was looking at the H6M hid kit, but just sucks you do not get high and low beam. What do you guys think? I hate the yellow tint the stock bulbs have. What's best? Even if they are just higher K rating but normal bulbs, I don't care. I hate stock... Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got the H6M HID kit and I really like it - I don't miss having high/low. Replacing high/low with awesome is worth it. They are super white and light up the area of a football field. Quite amazing actually considering how small the lenses are.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
I converted over to HID, 30,000K, and love them. I dont miss the high/low beam.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking it's worth it with HIDs. I can only find "Xentec" brand. Thinking about ordering it tonight. Did you guys run relay wires with the kit or have to alter/change or run into any problems doing the conversion?

·
Registered
113 Posts
i have the bi-xenon hids in mine and all the hi low does is the bulb itself pivots up and down in the lens housing. so with proper aiming you get the same effect without paying more for the hi low

·
Registered
190 Posts
I ride in ALOT of mud/water are the hids able to be sumerged?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ride in ALOT of mud/water are the hids able to be sumerged?
Most ballasts are "supposed" to be waterproof 100%. I would not say ALL are.

30000k?!? The picture showing 30000k is hot pink/purple but the YouTube videos are showing a real nice color. What's your feel on them?

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
I would plan on using a relay. Yamaha uses 18ga wire for there lights and mine would draw to much and not light up both lights. Mine are 55 watts, stock ate 30/30.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I got a set of 50 watt lights that mount on my handle bars. I just wired them so those came on for high and the stocks were low. Recently I installed a bigger stator so they both come on for hi now.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I got the 18w LEDs ... 36 watts for a pair of them ... can't even see my HID's
when the LEDs are on ! ... they don't fit stock housings nor locations ... I got the PIAA mounts for the handle bars .... get the HID power supply wet isn't the
issue .. it's getting the lamps WET !!! then they cake up with mud (since they are UNDER THE FENDER !) and start MELTING !!! you can get the HIDs in dual beam ... at double the price !! ::)

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
I will stick with my HID system. All you have to do is run a rely setup to run lights off the battery, the factory wiring just turns on the relay.

Here is what mine looks like. HID is purple and the other is the High beam.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
anyone? there is like five seperate thread's where someone ask's this question and the thread goes dead with no answer. I think it's completely on topic and of importance to the thread.
Thanks

·
Master of the Electron
15,668 Posts
Can the 660's handle the 55 watt setup? There 40% brighter and i would like to get those if i could.

....anyone? there is like five seperate thread's where someone ask's this question and the thread goes dead with no answer. I think it's completely on topic and of importance to the thread.

I read almost every thread in the 660 sections and I can assure you that this question has been asked, I have answered it... the answer is yes - especially if you do not use the stockers too.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Well my 660 could not handle the draw on the stock wires, they would get warm to the point were the wire insulation would get soft and one light would flicker. That is why I went for the use of a relay. Not sure, but I think the stock wire is 18ga

·
Master of the Electron
15,668 Posts
55W is 12V @ 4.5 Amps - the 18 gauge wire should be able to deal with this without heating significantly... however, if you notice that it is, then adding the relay with a separate, larger gauge power wire directly from the battery is a good thing to do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey guys, I ended up going with the Xentec HID kit off eBay for 35 bucks, free shipping. 10k, 35w. Honestly, love it! I had to cut off the stock wire connectors and just direct connect the wires, but it worked great!

·
Master of the Electron
15,668 Posts
Which bulb type did you get? How do these bulbs mount into the stock headlight assembles?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.