Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I discovered this problem on my Raptor...

At idle, I get 16.X volts on my voltmeter! When the engine is not running, the battery gives out 14.X volts.

Is this a rectifier problem or could it be something else?

I'm going on a 300 miles trip this weekend so I need to fix it ASAP.

Thank you!

·
Registered
247 Posts
yes your regulator/rectifier has taken a crap. You need to replace it or it will ruin your battery.

·
Master of the Electron
15,411 Posts
Measure on another vehicle. If it reads 12.5 and 14.5 your regulator is malfunctioning... if it measures 14.x and 16.x, your meter is malfunctioning.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah someone else just made me think maybe my meter is wrong! I'll look into that.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I rechecked the voltage on my bike this morning and got 12.6v when off, 14.4v when running.

Checked it again tonight after letting the bike idle for 10 mins, same results.

I guess my meter was acting up yesterday.

Is it possible that a regulator goes bad/good/bad/good or when it craps, it's not going back ?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I am not sure about the R/R, but I would definitely get a new meter!

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Measure on another vehicle. If it reads 12.5 and 14.5 your regulator is malfunctioning... if it measures 14.x and 16.x, your meter is malfunctioning.
You were pretty fast on your feet there Quad...good call!

·
Master of the Electron
15,411 Posts
You were pretty fast on your feet there Quad...good call!
It was the 14.5 when sitting - rarely will a battery hold this high a voltage for more than a very short time - made me suspect the meter. If the meter's battery is nearing death it can get somewhat crazy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was the 14.5 when sitting - rarely will a battery hold this high a voltage for more than a very short time - made me suspect the meter. If the meter's battery is nearing death it can get somewhat crazy.
You know your stuff man. The battery in my meter is indeed near death! The little battery sign has been flashing for a little while. Plus, it had been sitting in the cold for quite a while.

I also thought it was strange that the battery was holding a 14+ volts charge...

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Aayyyup - I BE a electricul engineyer! :D
Well, I don't know the inner workings of a voltage doflicky but if you ever get a screaming case of gastroenteritis or any other bacterial ailment then call a microbiologist. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts