Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 700 raptor is strictly used for drag racing on asphalt. I am looking for a slight edge over others by reducing weight. I run in a stock motor class and I do have a heavier quad. As a drag only quad, what are you able to remove to reduce some weight on this thing. If you all have pics that would help too :thumbsup:

·
Registered
109 Posts
i would shave those fender to reduce drag, its like a paracute holding you back. and try to get lighter rims and tires. and dont fill your gas tank all the way up only put about a 1/2 gallon in. that is all i could tell you 8)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
completely take of your headlights. Lighter handlebars. If you shave your fenders, you better remove your footwells as well. they are like a parachute too.

·
Registered
239 Posts
since its only drag can you take your air box out also, and the tools, if you put good pads in your front breaks take your rears off

just an idea dont know if you are actually allowed to do any of these things

Ben

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Cut back on the beer and desert. I know its hard and painfull but it does get easier.

·
Registered
661 Posts
i cut alot of metal off my frame, also took the overflow for the radiator off and the front light,coil,light balist bracket off, shaved of about 13 pounds, o and the electric fan.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okieraptor said:
i cut alot of metal off my frame, also took the overflow for the radiator off and the front light,coil,light balist bracket off, shaved of about 13 pounds, o and the electric fan.
Do you have any pics? This is exactly the info I was looking for. I will also remove the front brake and front brake calipers. Has anyone else done this?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Fox float front shocks. Only 5lbs each.
Motosport alloys rear rims. or Hi-pers without the beadlocks.
remove park brake.. obviously
Lighter rear axle /hubs /
Titanium rear sproket.
lightweight chain. (maybe not a good idea for drag racing ) Ha Ha
Take out all you internal transmission gears and have them remade in billit aluminum. :unsure:
I know most of these things arnt free as you requested , but when you want to go further than the free stuff just some ideas.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i also have a drag quad but for sand. take out the air box, headlights, headlight brackets, front guard, front guard brackets, coolant overflow resirvor bottle, remove tailight, definetly shave ur plastics or dont have any at all, front brakes, emergency brake, heel guards (wow like 5 pounds each), all skid guards (engine guard, swingarm, etc.), run direct spindle mounts in the front, little drain hoses there and here you will find that are not needed, then when you get serious remove all wiring for lights and front brake plug, and thats all i can think off right now. tried my best

·
Registered
331 Posts
Roost king... do you know the total dry weight of you bike.. must be light as s..t !
Good job
I really think the Fox floats could shave some serious weight too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
DR.D has a wet sump kit for YZ 426 and 250.

Gets rid of all external oil lines, one set of oil pump gears, oil tank.

I've only seen it in a catalog, so I don't know what exactly the kit contains, but something like that would have to drop a pretty good amount of weight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok couple more questions :lol:
I went to remove my headlights and brackets and I noticed that the rectifier is held on by the headlight brackets. When you all remove your brackets where are you mounting that rectifier? Also are you just putting some electricial tape around those wires that you unplug when you take the headlights off?

For just drag racing, would it be ok to remove the coolant overflow bottle?

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
I cut the big ugly arms off of my headlight bracket and sanded and polished it to make it look nice, then reinstalled the rectifier. I left the other side off. It turned out to be a nice clean job, took about an hour, i just used a hack saw and then a file. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
661 Posts
j700 said:
okieraptor said:
Do you have any pics? This is exactly the info I was looking for. I will also remove the front brake and front brake calipers. Has anyone else done this?
i do but i cant get them to enlarge on here cuz i took them on my phone. my front brakes are also gone and i shave the mounting tabs off for the rotors and shaved the tabs that hold the caliper on the spindle.

·
Registered
511 Posts
BUY Rocket Factory's and call it a day :eek:!! Sell yours to recoup part of the cost. ::)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Let your wife ride it.

I weigh 240+, depending on how much beer and beef from the weekend before.

Wife weighs between 110-115. She can't launch for $hit, but once she hits the hill, she smokes everybody.

·
Registered
63 Posts
oh well i dont know the exact weight haha but ive shaved a good 50 pounds off my bike. the only thing i have left to do is cut the frame down, all the extra brackets and ya. i can post pics if anyone wants to see my bike but thats only if u want. and with me only weighing 125, wow this thing moves haha. yes u can take the overflow radiator bottle off.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts