Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im sure I'll probably get flamed for this but here goes...

I'm about 2 hours into the fci install and even more pissed than when i started. for one, why the hell cant they provide instructions?? Also, for one of the most expensive intakes on the market one would think that the fab would be top notch, sure everything looks good but the sensor had waaay too much play in it, the bracket hits the fuse box, and a extension cable for the sensor would have been awesome.. all around PITA to install! I know alot of guys here run them but and im sure its a great intake once its actually up and running but I still cant believe they do not provide any instructions!!

Sorry just had to vent.

Let me know if im just an idiot and doing something wrong or is this a typicial install

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would be simple if everything fit correctly.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
I dont have one because I run an amsoil setup. But I have heard they are a real pain to install. And the big WK54mm Tb's are also supposed to be a biatch lol. But I'm sure you'll make it happen man just take your time and think things through. If you find yourself getting frustrated just take a quick break and re-evaluate your options ;)

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
I agree with you Caneen. I expected better instructions and fit/finish for the money I spent.
and a lid for those days when you need the extra water/mud protection. We don't all ride in just dry sandy deserts.

·
Addicted To Raptor
255 Posts
Maybe someone should take this up with FCI! I agree, they are too expensive to have low craftsmanship as explained. Id be pissed too

-just my worthless 2 cents......

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
and a lid for those days when you need the extra water/mud protection. We don't all ride in just dry sandy deserts.
I never had a problem riding in muddy/wet conditions without a lid. Would be kinda pointless to do engine mods and exhaust only to cork it up at the intake. :lol:

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well im glad to see im not the only one to have problems... I guess im gonna head back out and try and finish the install, wish me luck haha

·
Registered
555 Posts
It is frustrating for sure but as above be patient.

I siliconed the IAT sensor retainer in mine.
Leave things loose till you get everything lined up.

When I got mine the aft plastic holding straps weren't available either so that added to the PO situ.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I never had a problem riding in muddy/wet conditions without a lid. Would be kinda pointless to do engine mods and exhaust only to cork it up at the intake. :lol:
It would only be for those wet/muddy days of riding, all the other times would be with no lid. It would be even more pointless to spend that amount of money and risk engine damage or not be able to ride except when completely dry outside. I have seen the stock lid covered in mud or muddy water yet the snorkel part was still very clean.

·
Registered
448 Posts
wouldnt running with the lid on after your bike is tuned to lid off run like crap, i have an outwears over mine and it gets a couple of splashes but nothing work re-tuning everytime

·
Registered
297 Posts
wouldnt running with the lid on after your bike is tuned to lid off run like crap, i have an outwears over mine and it gets a couple of splashes but nothing work re-tuning everytime
One of the reasons I plan to run a PCV, Have it tuned for lid on and off.

•2 position map switching function built in (map switch not included)

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well i just cut down the backing plate with a metabo and it fit awesome.. my main problem was the plate hitting the fusebox and wiring, this way i dont have to reroute wires and what not. Thanks sprinterx I'll get some silicone on the IAT sensor thats a great idea.

On another note, anyone know if they make other filters such as k&n or a foam that will fit?

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
It would only be for those wet/muddy days of riding, all the other times would be with no lid. It would be even more pointless to spend that amount of money and risk engine damage or not be able to ride except when completely dry outside. I have seen the stock lid covered in mud or muddy water yet the snorkel part was still very clean.
It would be running so rich you'd have to bring a case of plugs with you. :lol:

I rode in mud/wet conditions and never had a problem running without a lid. (It rains quite a bit up here in the northwest) None of my buddies ran them either. Heck, that's the first thing I removed when I bought my 660 and my 700. A little common sense goes a long ways. If you ride in deep enough water than you would need a snorkel, perhaps the rappy isn't the right quad for you. :lol:

I had an outerwear and a hole drilled in the bottom of the box for drainage for when it got a splash in there. Seemed to work just fine.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had an outerwear and a hole drilled in the bottom of the box for drainage for when it got a splash in there. Seemed to work just fine.
Another good idea, I think I'll drill a hole in the bottom of mine aswell

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
It would be running so rich you'd have to bring a case of plugs with you. :lol:

I rode in mud/wet conditions and never had a problem running without a lid. (It rains quite a bit up here in the northwest) None of my buddies ran them either. Heck, that's the first thing I removed when I bought my 660 and my 700. A little common sense goes a long ways. If you ride in deep enough water than you would need a snorkel, perhaps the rappy isn't the right quad for you. :lol:

+1, Everything about this sport is a give and take. There are very little modifications that one can do that will be a win win situation. Whether it's intakes, tires, cams, chains, etc. Can't have it all.

Personally I didn't have trouble installing an FCI intake. Granted I didn't have my gas tank or front plastics on, I think it took me about 10 minutes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts