Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good day guys please I need help. I have a 2006 700 Raptor GYTR special addition and I need to remove to rear sprocket hub to fit a new sprocket, the previous sprocket I had on shattered into 4 pieces while pulling away. Where do I start?

Eric.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
You should not need to remove the sproket hub to change the sproket....remove the left tire, slide the sproket over the wheel hub and then over the sproket hub, reinstall bolts and chain, then tighten chain. done deal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good thanks, but out of interest sake, how do I remove the hub, just realised now that it seems like one of the hub arms are slightly bent. What happened was while we were our riding one of the nuts that connect the hub to the sprocket came out, I did notice it but didn't think much of it, seeing as there were still 3 nuts I just thought I’d replace it when we get home. 2Km down the road....Surprise... I know it was a stupid thing to do, but didn’t think that it will actually shatter the sprocket.

·
Registered
64 Posts
To get the hib off just remove the cotter key and large nut. Should slide right off. Check the splines while you have it off for wear.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
You will have to remove the axle to change the sproket hub....remove the axle nut on the right side, don't forget to loosen the set screws on the axle nut, remove the tire hub on the right, remove the brake caliper and slide the axle out the left side of the swing arm and the hub will slide off the right side of the axle. you actually don't have to remove the rear caliper..it seemed easier to me that way.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
To get the hib off just remove the cotter key and large nut. Should slide right off. Check the splines while you have it off for wear.
I think he means the rear sproket hub, not the wheel hub.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You will have to remove the axle to change the sproket hub....remove the axle nut on the right side, don't forget to loosen the set screws on the axle nut, remove the tire hub on the right, remove the brake caliper and slide the axle out the left side of the swing arm and the hub will slide off the right side of the axle. you actually don't have to remove the rear caliper..it seemed easier to me that way.
Ok just a question, basically this is what my axle looks like, but you said the sprocket slides out to the right but on the pic it seems like it slides out to the left?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
he did say to the left

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
he did say to the left
Not the axle the hub, it seems like the sprocket hub slides out to the left. I know on tje standard axle the sprocket hub slides out to right, but on this extended shaft it seems like the sprocket hub slides out to the left...

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Ok just a question, basically this is what my axle looks like, but you said the sprocket slides out to the right but on the pic it seems like it slides out to the left?
Your presumption is incorrect, the sprocket hub in the picture you posted is held in place by a circlip over the axle, and the hub is pressed up against it by the axle nut on the right hand side. On a stock axle this is clearer than on your picture of an aftermarket durablue axle because on a stock axle it is flanged.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You need to take the axle off to get the sprocket hub off. I know this bc I tried to get the sprocket hub off when I was changing my sprocket bc the bolts were so tight and I couldn't, so I looked in my service book and it was showing it coming off to the right after the axle was removed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts