Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright for now im going to buy the pro design intake and power commander and just remove the arrestor till i save up more money. I am just wondering where the arrestor is on the stock pipe and how do i remove it? Is it just that little pipe on the tip of the muffler? Do i pull on it or have to remove any screws?

·
Registered
348 Posts
There is an allen screw in the bottom of the silver cover on the end of the muffler that goes into the spark arrestor, remove it and the arrestor should pull out. You may have to use pliers or something to get it out some are pretty tight. I have heard that if you run it till the exhaust is hot its easier to pull out, but I have not tried that. It is the small tube with about a 1.5" dia sleeve that fits in the muffler and is aprox. 6" long

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So its the little tip i have circled in the pic? I just take that screw out and grab that tip with some pliers and work it out? Sorry for the dumb question its my first quad and dont want to trash my stock exhaust

·
Registered
478 Posts
yep that is it. I had a really really hard time trying to pull mine out. Finally I hit it with some wd-40 or other penetrating oil, let it sit for a few minutes and then grabbed on to it with some vice grips and turned it back and forth and it slid right out.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I second the vise grip useage. The longer you run the bike before you pull it, the harder it is to remove. Carbon builds up on it rather fast. Mine took some elbow grease. The kind not found at your local Auto Parts dealer.

Craig,

·
Registered
610 Posts
turboedsupe said:
So its the little tip i have circled in the pic? I just take that screw out and grab that tip with some pliers and work it out? Sorry for the dumb question its my first quad and dont want to trash my stock exhaust
ok, forgive MY stupid question, but this is my first quad, too.... :)

Isn't pulling the spark arrestor out of the stock exhaust basically "trashing" the exhaust? This was the reason I went with a slip on. I was under the impression (after reading through the posts) that it couldn't be put back in if the local authorities wanted to clamp down on riding without one.... as they can tend to do. So in essence, you are doing something to your exhaust that can't be undone.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
pacanis said:
turboedsupe said:
ok, forgive MY stupid question, but this is my first quad, too.... :)

Isn't pulling the spark arrestor out of the stock exhaust basically "trashing" the exhaust? This was the reason I went with a slip on. I was under the impression (after reading through the posts) that it couldn't be put back in if the local authorities wanted to clamp down on riding without one.... as they can tend to do. So in essence, you are doing something to your exhaust that can't be undone.
As long as you dont damage it you can put it back in. I had mine out but when I got my full exhaust I put the SA back in the stock pipe so it wouldnt get lost in storage. I had no problem putting back in and if you look in the service manual it recommends taking it out and cleaning it every so often.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Hey guys.. tried all of your "solutions" on mine and for some reason no way in hell was it commin out.. basically destroyed it pulling so hard with a vice grip.. We finally did get it out (had to make a "slide hammer" type device that basically just yanked the sucker out) Wasnt fun, but its out now! guess ill have to find a different one if i ever want quiet back

·
Registered
163 Posts
mine is totally trashed after pulling it out.. some of the techniques i used are considere unethical in some countries :grin_nod:

·
Registered
163 Posts
lol!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts